Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Name
    John Bennett
    Martial Art
    All of 'em!

Default What is the best knife fighting system?

Yesterday I attended a short knife fighting clinic at a local school.

The instructor showed us basic cuts. We worked this sequence:

neck left slash/right slash
    abdomen l/r
    thigh l/r
    groin stab
    reverse back to stab into clavicle
    turn-over to stab into other clavicle
    eye hook l/r
    straight down the middle
    straight up the middle

I know absolutely nothing about these knife fighting systems. Does that sound like anything you've ever heard of?

Because of the nature of the class, I didn't get an opportunity to ask the instructor about the theory behind this drill or where it came from.

It seemed kinda complicated to me. I carry a knife. If I ever needed to use it, I always just envisinoed myself clinching with the guy and trying to cut open his femoral or cartoid artery, whichever was available.

Which system of offensive knife fighting is generally considered to be the most practical? Hock Hockheim? Army CQB or something?

Any help appreciated!

Name
    Jeff Burger
    Martial Art
    Multiple disciplines

Kali , Arnis ,Silat or Escrima...to be honest i could tell you the difference between them...Id say bigger differences in teachers than style.
    From what I have done we worked more cutting the limbs (defang the snake) than going for body/neck.

Grappling with knives is just a real scary situation...we have played around with magic markers.

I have seen lots of tapes but I really wouldnt say any of them did a good job...Ron Bilicki did a defense against knives tape that was good.
    The knife fighting and stick fighting were pretty much the same...but the reality is you still need to hit with power with the stick the knife can be pure speed.

FEAR THE BLADE
    Spydrco...wavy seration...slash at a hunk of meat with one of those...very impressive.

JMB

Name
    Joe Robbins

We do ALOT of knife work in Systema, including grappling with the blade. I wont (and cant) go into detail.

Knives should never be more complicated than they need to be. A knife should be nothing more than a sharp extention of your arm. If its too complicated and you try to use it, your more likely to "go stupid" and forget what it is your trying to do. Keep it simple. If it works "naked" it will work if you have a knife in your hands. (cant do a grab? just stick the friggin knife in where you were going to grab instead. Use it for leverage if you need to! Gonna punch? punch with the knife, if nothing else it adds weight to the punch OR you land a good solid punch and they get 3-6 inches of steel instead of a 2 knuckle punch.

Dont EXPECT to get cut, but understand it can happen. and if it does happen... Winners dribble, loosers gush.

Dont gush

Name
    Ted Truscott
    Martial Art
    Shorin-Ji Ryu karate, Chen Style taiji

I doubt if you will find a consensus on practicality anywhere.

Some systems (FMA) are large with many complicated patterns to learn and to practice. This does not necessarily promote impracticality but it does tend to lengthen the time to gaining a practical expression.

Some teachers pride themselves on stripping the larger systems down to practical basics - what works best for them - but then they decuce that because it is good for them it must be good for everyone.

The fallacy would be that someone of a different body type and / or temperament might choose a different set of combinations and drill to keep when they strip down the larger art.

It behooves us all to get as much of the larger picture as we can and then play with it enough to know what works for us and what doesn't. We must learn the principles behind the drills. From doing this I have learned that I do better work with my point forward rather than in a reverse grip. I also do better on attack than on defense. I know why I should change stanes when I change my mind about what I am going to do. I've learned flexability.

So I concentrate on developing these things... What suits me best are the older western stuff from Cold Steel by STyers and Cassidy's book, Knife Fighting. It might not suit you. I also practice some Arnis that I learned from the Professor.

I guess I'm not a fan of the idea that knife work is just empty hand work with a blade in your fist. Yes, it can be done that way but it looses all subtlety. I know that I use my hands in ways with a knife that I have never considered with my empty hand work. I'd never twist my hands around when empty like I do to keep my edge aligned when I have a blade in my hand. I also never punch to miss the target and then draw back along the surface of the target in a slicing motion like I do with a snap cut.

Just remember, Eclecticism can be fun!
    "Fear, not compassion, restrains the wicked."

Name
    John Bennett
    Martial Art
    All of 'em!

"Knives should never be more complicated than they need to be."

That's what I was thinking. The class I attended yesterday seemed kinda overly complicated. The instructor kept moving us up to ever more complicated sequences of slashes and stabs.

I just couldn't envision myself standing there engaging in a slashing match with some guy.

My personal strategy for offensive knife use goes like this. (I carry a Spyderco Delica).

1. There's no escape. Knife attack is justified because of multiple attackers or the other guy has a weapon.

2. Try to keep my knife hidden and give continuous apologies ergo begging for mercy, to be left alone.

3. At an opportune moment, shoot in with cover and try to open the carotid or femoral artery.

4. Shove the guy away and Run like hell.

In 1977 I saw two guys engage in a slashing match at an Aerosmith concert in the hallway of the Herch Memorial Collesium in Shreveport, Louisiana. They basically stood there with their faces buried in the crooks of their elbow of one arm, and used their other arm to slash at each other.

They mainly just cut each other all over their arms. I and all the other spectators (and the ceiling and floors) got covered with little specks of blood.

Yesterday the instructor had us stand with our right foot forward if the knife was in our right hand, knife out front, free hand behind.

This seemed counter-intuitive to me. I kept wanting to keep my free hand in front so I could use it to grab and hold the guy while I stabbed with the knife in my other hand. Plus, I've always favored a weak-side forward stance (my left). It's what feels natural to me.

Name
    Jeff Burger
    Martial Art
    Multiple disciplines

My plan if faced with a knife...
    1. projectiles first...anything i can get a hand on...a glass, a drink , a phone...anything

2. projectiles second...I dont want to be any where near this person...seems ever since man threw his first rock he has just been developing better rocks.

3. positon...can i get something between me and them (which will give me more time to throw stuff)

4.get a weapon to harm or to sheild or both...go for the hand not the man (the hand with the knife)

5.if I had to fight hand vs. blade...i got one more projectile...spit in his face (time gap)(thats if my aderalin filled body can produce it) strike the weaponed arm or grab it if possible...low kicks (this is where a nice long side kick would be nice.

I have gotten stabbed twice...right oblique and right buttock. Buttock i didnt know until afterwards but when I saw all the blood I got real light headed. Oblique was an envelope opener... hurt like hell and we were standing grappling and he was still pushing on it after penetration...I could feel the point moving around inside. I tried squeezing his throat with my left,my right trying to push the knife back out, I wasnt winning so I grabbed his head and stuck my thumb in his eye....all the way down to the web we dug eachother for a few seconds and someone broke us up. There wasnt much room to move around and I was half over a desk.
    I have seen a few people get stabbed and Im surprised none of them went down right away if at all. We took a friend of ours to the hospital after getting stabbed and he thought he just needed a few stitches...he spent a few days in the hospital.

JMB

Name
    Joe Robbins

Default DO NOT LET YOUR CHILDREN SEE THIS!

REPEAT...

DO NOT LET CHILDREN SEE THIS!

http://www.swordforumbugei.com/ubb/F...ML/000087.html

Name
    Jeff Burger
    Martial Art
    Multiple disciplines

What can I say but...YUP.

(hey you sure thats real...I could swear some of those strikes went across super deadly double secret Dim Mak meridians...sorry I couldnt resist)

JMB

Name
    John Bennett
    Martial Art
    All of 'em!

BLYECH!!!

THAT is the reason I don't envision myself stand there having a slashing match with some guy.

Oh man. I HATE getting hit. I hate getting cut even more.

Too close or too far.

Too close or too far.

Too close or too far.

Too close or too far.

I want to be so close to the guy he can't even move his arms (and I'm moving them for him, breaking them), or so far away he can't hit or cut me.

Too close or too far. That's all I can think.

Administrator and Benevolent Dictator Webmaster's Avatar
    Name
    Robert Carver
    Martial Art
    Jujutsu, Judo, Shorinryu Karatedo
    Blog Entries

Sgathak.. thanks for the link to those rather educational pictures. This is the reason I tell my students to (a) give him your wallet, (b) run like hell, or (c) find a field expedient weapon of some type, (d) run like hell, and (e) deal with the weapon empty handed only as a last resort. Obviously, I like the "run like hell" technique.

As far as knife fighting is concerned, I have no doubt that the Filipino Martial Arts have the edge (no pun intended) there. I have trained a bit while in the Philippines, and have seen it close up. In my case it was a bit too close up, and luckly I was armed with a M1911A1 .45 with a round in the chamber, in my hand and sighted in at center mass.

For my money, the FMA would be my knife system of choice.
    Robert M. Carver
    Administrator, Benevolent Dictator & Bodhisattva
    BudoSeek! Martial Arts Community

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

“In a time of universal deceit – telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject."

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." Gerald Ford in a Presidential address to a joint session of Congress (12 August 1974)

Name
    Rory Miller

I'm not sure it can be called a system, but Central American knife techniques have quite a reputation... it seems predicated on the knife entering the opponent's body before the opponent has any reason to believe that an altercation is under way.

We were briefed a couple of years ago that there was a string of "walk-by" hamstringings at crowded events, all gang-on-gang.

Not quite a perfect quote, but: "I thought I was doing great and then I looked down and there was a knife in my stomach!"
    "One finds many companions for food and drink, but in a serious business a man's companions are very few." -Theognis

Name
    Jeff Burger
    Martial Art
    Multiple disciplines

A sucker punch or stab can be considered a technique or a strategy but thats not a system.

My right bottuck got stabbed while we (some friends and myself) got into a little scuffle that escalated...I didnt know I got stabbed until an officer asked if i was ok...it took me a minute realize it was my blood.

JMB

Name
    Tony E. Sims, Jr.
    Martial Art
    ATT - Olympia

Here the God honest truth, I'd rather be shot than cut on any given day. Knowing this, I will do whatever it takes not to get cut. Well, on all occassions but once and that was purely situational.

Being cut....(shudder)...no thanks!

Peace
    "Control your emotions or they will control you"

-Tony Sims-

Brachialstun

When it comes to knife fighting there are several excellent sources of "realistic" knife fighting instructionals out there. The material put out by Hock, James Keating, Scott Sonnon (for the concept loving guys), and Joe Maffei is some of the best stuff I've seen. Styer's "Cold Steel" is an excellent book for certain aspects of knife fighting.

Now speaking of actual knife fighting, there is no single stance that is "best" for blade engagements. As you move during the engagement you are going to be constabtly shifting from a blade forward to a blade in the rear position. Anyone who tells you otherwise is probably limited in their exposure to blades and blade engagements.

If you are fighting with a blade you want to make sure you keep your movements quick and tight. When you overextend for a strike (slash, stab, etc) you are creating a window of oppertunity for the person to counter.

If facing a blade, try to first make an escape (throw objects, use OC, etc). If that isn't possible, you need to close the distance and attempt to gain control of the weapon bearing limb. By controling the limb, you are limiting how the weapon can be used against you.

C Clifton

Name
    Rory Miller

Originally posted by Brachialstun

Now speaking of actual knife fighting, there is no single stance that is "best" for blade engagements. As you move during the engagement you are going to be constabtly shifting from a blade forward to a blade in the rear position. Anyone who tells you otherwise is probably limited in their exposure to blades and blade engagements.

C Clifton
    Mr. Clifton-

Pardon me, but this is one of the areas that really bugs me- of all the people teaching "real" knife fighting and "real" blade defense how much "real" experience is it based on?

I've had four. In not one of them did the guy with the knife shift grip. It was usually (3 of 4) sudden, explosive and violent, so there was no "flow". Despite surprise, I was never cut (but almost all of the experts say you will get cut). How many of these experts developed their technique and theory by fencing in the dojo with their own students and how many of these rules were derived from experience with assaults?

Or perhaps four people trying to kill me with knives is "limited exposure"?

Rory
    "One finds many companions for food and drink, but in a serious business a man's companions are very few." -Theognis

Brachialstun

Rory - I think you misunderstood my comment about people "shifting" during a fight. First off, its not refering to a person shifting the blade from their front hand to the rear hand, its about their bodies moving. For the most part, you are not going to see a person drop into a blade to the rear stance, then constantly stay there during the entire fight. Actually, you will rarely see a person drop into a "stance" unless you are engaged in more of a street "duel". Due to the way fights happen, a person is constantly changing "stances" thanks to the very nature of movement causing body postion changes.

Second - when it comes to "realistic" trainers and how they have come up with their material; I'll be the first to say that mostof them have had few actual knife fights. However, a good number of them have studied knife fights (through text, officer/ soldier debreifing, MVR/dashboard camera, survellience camera, footage, etc) inorder to watch the ways they actually occur and then devise methods that take this into account. After creating the new material, sure they test it out in their schools. However, the true "pressure testing" of their material is when they teach it people that go into harms way (patrol officers, soldiers, etc) and these people successfully use the material. This gives the "proof" that a trainer's "new" methods are sound.

Third - when it comes to "most experts" saying that you will get cut in a knife fight; I would group those guys with the more inexpereinced trainers. They may have great physical skill, but they are lacking proper research if they are telling everyone you WILL get cut in a knife fight. All of the trainers I know and have worked with have a pretty common line of thinking when it comes to this. "In a knife fight, you MAY get cut. This is no guarantee that you will or won't get cut during a knife fight, however you should be prepared to recieve a cut and continue fighting." None of them are telling their students or others that they are going to get cut for sure. That would be limiting the students' effectiveness by psychologically hampering them.

C Clifton

sfjohn

I have seen many posts concerning the topic of stance and blade position as well as grip. When the stuff hits the fan this stuff doesn't matter, the way you pulled your blade is typically the way you are going to use it because you don't have time to think about it. I am a firm student of knifer arts because in the city everyone has one and they are always pulled. I'm not gonna go into detail about the way you should prctice or which stance is better, I've done it all before and my reply is always the same. It doesn't matter.

The one thing I am going to leave you with is the secret to knife fighting and that is Anatomy my friends. You hear stories of people who have been cut or stabbed multiple times and lived because they were not attacked by someone who practices a knife as their craft. Every great knife instructor out there will also tell you that anatomy is key to becoming a "knifer". Most of the great knife fighters i have met study anatomy with the attention of a surgeon, because after all if they pull a knife they in effect become surgeons of death. One last thing, before you even think of learning to defend against a knife attack learn how to use the knife to attack with (competently).

-John Stenson

Name
    Terry Foster
    Martial Art
    Retired, just pac a pistol now.

What is the RMA
    Terry Foster
    Terry foster

" I know a thousand ways to kill a man, but not one to bring him back to life."
    Kung Fu, Qui Chang Caine

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: One was Jesus Christ, and the other is The American soldier." -- Prime Minister Tony Blair

Name
    Jay Bell
    Martial Art
    Slacking

Russian Martial Art.

C Clifton,

As you move during the engagement you are going to be constabtly shifting from a blade forward to a blade in the rear position. Anyone who tells you otherwise is probably limited in their exposure to blades and blade engagements.
    I'm still having a hard time with this bit here. I've seen plenty of "knife fighters" who do not follow this idea. Nor would I call their exposure "limited".

Signum Pacis Amor
    Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem

Member, Inter-Galactic Martial Arts Hall of Fame and Sokeship Council

Name
    Cliff Hargrave
    Martial Art
    Gracie Jiu-Jitsu
    Blog Entries

I have studied a little FMA and more police defensive tactics courses than I can remember. I am of the belief, based upon my many years of law enforcement, that the FMA is hard to beat but they, like most martial arts, evolve into dueling each other.

Kind of like BJJ guys working to pull off the perfect open guard sweep. It may be a great technique but doing it for real on the street probably isn't going to happen.

I remember years ago in a LE school watching a film of an actual stabbing at a prison. They had a policy of not entering the block until the reaction team arrived so one officer just filmed the entire event. I have to say that as a trained martial artist and police officer, it scared the sh*t out of me. The prison "rush and stab the torso multiple times" technique would be hard to defend. I swear this guy had fifty holes in him. He made some vain attempts at trying to grab the knife hand but once the blood started flowing it was futile.

I have taken many knives away from folks over the years, some at gunpoint, some by force, and some by verbal judo! I am happy to say though that no one has done the prison rush on me yet. I hope it never happens. I would rather be in a gunfight.
    Jiu-Jitsu - like chess, except you get to choke people.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast