Account Suspended
    Name
    Anthony Villanueva
    Martial Art
    Danzan-Ryu Jujitsu

Default Using your palms to fight?

Ok, my sensei she said liek theres strikes in jujitsu, not many, but she doesnt teach em cause she says using your hand is the most impractical way of defending yourself (that is unless you dont midn hurting your hand) so every technique that requires you to punch we do a palm strike. But see, my problem is, is that I broke my hand when I was younger from a skate accident, they said it was the same kind of break boxers get, and my knuckle bone, or the bone in my hand for my pinky knuckle got bowed and I have an indented knuckle and I guess since it bowed and not straight it could break easy on a punch. So I was wondering if there any DVDs or movies out there that teach palm fighting techniques so I can train on my own to complement my training, cause I'm learning a submission art and then a throwing art, and I need a striking system now, I found these DVDs on the internet and was wondering what you guys thought about them the Bagua Zhang Vol 1 intewrnal palms, vol 2 Eight changing palms, and vol 3 Linking Forest penetrating palms at http://www.adamhsu.com/videos.html (just scroll down a little bit). And what would you consider the most effective method of kicking and is there a training DVD that teaches you the kicks? Thanks very much in advance...

Should Have Known Better YiLiQuan1's Avatar
    Name
    Matt Stone
    Martial Art
    Yiliquan

A couple of things...

#1) Learning from videos is BAD. Unless you possess a sufficient level of skill and understanding from previous training, videos aren't (IMO) of much use to anyone. Further, even if you are able to glean some small amount of information from the video, you still lack a qualified instructor to tell you when you are doing it right, or more importantly, when you are doing it wrong.

#2) Having had a boxer's fracture myself, I can say that they only occur when you strike with the wrong part of the fist. You should not be striking with the last knuckles of the fist as they lack sufficient structural support to endure the forces placed upon them through striking. Just like Mr. Miyagi says, use the first two knuckles only.

#3) I'd be inclined to believe that the reason your teacher doesn't teach strikes is not because she is concerned that you might potentially injure yourself, but rather because she doesn't know them well enough, or can't employ them like she should be able to.

#4) If you broke the 5th metacarpal (the "pinky" side bone inside your palm), you should have no trouble striking with your palm heel. Two completely different surfaces.

Name
    Dađi

Keith "The Giant Killer" Hackney vs Emmanuel Yarborough: "Ouch!".

Keith knocked down Yarborough with a palm strike and then broke his hand with punches to the big guy's face.
    Last edited by ezzthetic; 10-02-2005 at 07:08.

Should Have Known Better YiLiQuan1's Avatar
    Name
    Matt Stone
    Martial Art
    Yiliquan

Quote Originally Posted by ezzthetic
    Keith "The Giant Killer" Hackney vs Emmanuel Yarborough: "Ouch!".

Keith knocked down Yarborough with a palm strike and then broke his hand with punches to the big guy's face.
    He broke his hand because, like so many other martial artists that "specialize" in striking, he lacked proper conditioning as well as failing to apply the technique against targets most suited for it.

But whatever...

Account Suspended
    Name
    Anthony Villanueva
    Martial Art
    Danzan-Ryu Jujitsu

Quote Originally Posted by YiLiQuan1
    A couple of things...

#1) Learning from videos is BAD. Unless you possess a sufficient level of skill and understanding from previous training, videos aren't (IMO) of much use to anyone. Further, even if you are able to glean some small amount of information from the video, you still lack a qualified instructor to tell you when you are doing it right, or more importantly, when you are doing it wrong.

#2) Having had a boxer's fracture myself, I can say that they only occur when you strike with the wrong part of the fist. You should not be striking with the last knuckles of the fist as they lack sufficient structural support to endure the forces placed upon them through striking. Just like Mr. Miyagi says, use the first two knuckles only.

#3) I'd be inclined to believe that the reason your teacher doesn't teach strikes is not because she is concerned that you might potentially injure yourself, but rather because she doesn't know them well enough, or can't employ them like she should be able to.

#4) If you broke the 5th metacarpal (the "pinky" side bone inside your palm), you should have no trouble striking with your palm heel. Two completely different surfaces.

Na, my sensei broke it down to us we she doesnt teach us to punch, and I understand what she means, in her other classes though, like bujitsu she teaches to punch, just not in her jujitsu classes. What you said about the first two knuckles I was todl that by this guy in my jujitsu class who does muay thai training, he said I should still be able to punch even if my figner is bowed casue I'm nto supposed to hit with that part anyways, but theres always that chance you go to punch and the person your punhign goes for that late duck and you catch that pinky knuckle and than BREAK!!!

But it's nice to hear that I should still be able to punch cause I was thinking about getting into tae kwon do and was scared abotu the punching. But I think imma give the video a shot, all I need em for is for my open hand strikes, and has anyone ever heard of Bagua Monkey Boxing? I plan on getting the DVD that teaches the full form and I plan on studying it on my own, I dont care if people think it's impractical to learn from a video, but I'm sure everyone says that.

but I come from an aggressive skating background (no sport in the HISTORY of sports requires the athleticism and agility and mental power that it requires, the level of skating has gotten so extreme in the last year 2 pros have died just in practice and not even competing), if I can learn back side nugen to alley oop 360 top side soul on waist high hand rail (landing on the sides on your ankles at full force on an inch thick rail than jumping back up and throwing a 360 your opposite direction and landing back on the rail in a top sole position I can learn martial arts from a video cause if you knew in rollerbladign there is no such thing as a teacher which is why EVERYONE has there own unique style, and also ONE, JUST ONE, little mistake in foot placement as in you can have your foot like a half a cinameter off and that can be a life or death mistake (I gave up on rollerblading recently for martial arts because of too many injuries and you have to train twice as hard as any martial art student as in all day everyday and instead of driving to build strong muscles in the legs as any martial art student does so I had to cut it out of the schedule)

and if people are sceptics on my rollerblading theories, I've competed in street comps in the bay area and heres a example movie of the type of skating I do (not no gay *** skateboarding) and due to my rollerblading I have yet to meet another person whos 5'8 who has a vertical jump anywhere near as high as I can besides other rollerbladers (we jump on **** thats higher than are waist with 10 - 15 pound weights on our feet) so I'm sure I can learn from a DVD as there isnt such a thing as a rollerblading teacher, I have the focus for sure and no other sport requires more focus than one that requires the movement of yoru whole body while moving at mad speeds and the simple fact the one slip can cost you your life. Heres some clips what todays skating is about http://www.razorskate.com/Pages/framset.html (go to team and then click on one of the riders to see there clips of there skating) dotn be fooled that these guys are pros, rollerblading is a small industry theres LOTS of people who are just as good and I've been aggressive rollign since day one so you can kind of imagine, I learned all that on my own, I think if I have the will power and focus to go through 10 years of solid punishment to get to the level of skating I'm at and always skating alone casue theres no other skaters in my area gives me the confidence to train on my own, plus I should be able to refine my own style. If you say it cant be done, it cant, and if you ever want to aggressive roll, you cant, cause supposedly you cant learn perfect form on your own right?
    Last edited by bMunky; 10-02-2005 at 08:39.

Name
    Cameron Solyom
    Martial Art
    Wrestling, MMA

If you want to learn from a video, by all means do it. But everyone here is advising you against it for a reason. Maybe some people can develop perfect form on their own, but does that mean everyone can? Most of us need an instructor to teach the technique and then show what is being done wrong, to get the correct form.
    By the way, what is so gay*** about skateboarding?

Name
    Jamie Ziegler
    Martial Art
    BJJ

but I come from an aggressive skating background (no sport in the HISTORY of sports requires the athleticism and agility and mental power that it requires

hahahhahahah.

Wait... you are joking right?
    - Jamie Ziegler.

hizaguchi

Anthony, you are dead on with the part about accidently hitting with the wrong part of your hand. Ideally, most punches don't use those knuckles, but they call a pinky break a "boxers fracture" for a reason.

You're off on the whole skating thing though. The only physical attribute you need to skate (beyond a basic level of fitness) is leg strength. Even in other sports that rely almost exclusively on the lower body, any serious competitor is going to be in much better shape than even the most fit rollerbladers. Brian Shima vs Lance Armstrong, for example.

Furthermore, learning to skate is a totally different animal from learning martial arts. When you learn a new trick, you know immediately whether or not you're doing it right. If you're not, you fall down. Martial arts are not so easy to test. This is why video learning is ill-advised. You may think you're doing everything right, but without an instructor to spot your mistakes and partners to at least spar with (not that sparring is a really great test), you lack any kind of feedback.