Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Name
    Jeremy Hotard
    Martial Art
    Taekwondo, Genbukan Ninpo, Kokusai Jujutsu

question Any Ninjutsu Schools In Louisiana?

Hey, everyone. I'm looking to see if there are any ninjutsu schools at all in Louisiana, preferably close to the New Orleans area. I've searched on winjutsu and through the local yellow pages with no luck. But I know that sometimes these schools aren't advertised like that. I used to train in taekwondo a few years ago and have kept up with it since I quit back then. But I've always wanted to train in ninjutsu. It looks a little hopless at this point as far as schools in my area; but if any of you know of any or could help at all, I'd appreciate it a lot. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Name
    Jason
    Martial Art
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali, Muay Thai, and Garimot Harimaw Buno

There is supposed to be one in Baton Rouge but i can't speak for the quality of the instruction or it authenticity. One of our members used to train there though. Hopefully he will chime in...
    For now, more than ever before, being sincere and dedicated is not enough. We must also be right. - Walter Kroll. 1971

Name
    Jeremy Hotard
    Martial Art

Yeah, now that you mention it, I did stumble across that Baton Rouge school's listing. I saw it on Richard Van Donk's site while I was looking at the home study courses (which I decided against after reading the numerous posts about it). Only thing is it would be nearly impossible for me to attend that school since it's about an hour away from me. Right now I don't have the money anyway because I'm still waiting for my job to return in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. But I did intend on joining a school once my income becomes steady again. Second problem, however, is that my job is pretty demanding and doesn't leave me with much spare time. So it would be impossible for me to make it to Baton Rouge at all during work days. The only way I could swing it would be if they offered lessons on weekends or whatnot. Or perhaps private lessons could work? More money spent with that, but I really do have my heart set on this style of martial art. I could just join another taekwondo school or karate school or whatever local mcdojo around here. But I've already been there done that, and I don't want a sporty martial art. I don't want something that's more focused on how well the school does in tournaments than on how well the students are progressing. And the sad thing is that around here, the only schools I know of are nothing but taekwondo and karate. I've seen maybe one or two schools that offer some sort of kung fu, kick boxing, or jujutsu class. But they all seem like they're not that credible to me. Hell, one of them is run by the owners/bartenders of a trashy bar that is the downstairs of the school...haha. Besides, ninjutsu just seems like if not the most, one of the most practical and effective martial arts -- not to mention it's intriguing to no end. But I don't know. If anyone else has anything to add or knows of any schools, let me know. In the meantime maybe I'll give that Baton Rouge school a call and see what kind of options they offer to a commuter like me.

Heh, I just thought of something even funnier. Most of the schools that are around my area probably aren't even open right now anyway and won't be anytime soon considering how most things are still closed since the stupid hurricane. Jeez...maybe I should just go outside and kick a telephone poll or something...heh. Kinda seems like the closest thing to training I'm gonna get.

Super Moderator
    Name
    Jason
    Martial Art

There is a really good jujutsu school in NOLA. I along with others on this boared attended a seminar there last spring and it was excellent.

I am certainly no expert in Ninpo or Budo Taijutsu but from what I understand, many of the techniques and principles would be very similar. And who knows, you might find exactly what you are looking for...

If you want more info, PM the webmaster as Sensei Garrett is one of his close friends. He would probably know whether or not they are teaching classes currently given the situation or if not, when they would be starting back up...

Here is a link to their website: http://www.minamiryu.com/home.html

Good luck!
    Last edited by jwinch2; 10-12-2005 at 17:35. Reason: added link
    For now, more than ever before, being sincere and dedicated is not enough. We must also be right. - Walter Kroll. 1971

Name
    Jeremy Hotard
    Martial Art

Hmm...well I've done a little research into jujutsu. Kinda seems to be more focused on groundfighting though. But then again I'm no expert. Does anyone know what the main differences between ninjutsu and jujutsu are? Also, what about aikido. What do you guys think about that one?

Super Moderator
    Name
    Jason
    Martial Art

Quote Originally Posted by gfys
    Hmm...well I've done a little research into jujutsu. Kinda seems to be more focused on groundfighting though. But then again I'm no expert. Does anyone know what the main differences between ninjutsu and jujutsu are? Also, what about aikido. What do you guys think about that one?
    Brazilian jujutsu (which is not how they spell it by the way) is very focused on ground fighting. More traditional Japanese styles of JJ have alot of focus on stand-up. As a matter of fact, the seminar I went to at the Miyama dojo was probably 75% stand-up with one segment devoted to the ground game... Most of the techniques I learned during my stint in JJ under our beloved webmaster were for use in stand-up situations. Again probably 75% or so.

Take a look at it, you might be suprised...

Again from what I understand the three main branches of Ninpo stem from Hatsumi who to the best of my knowledge studied a variety of styles many of which were different ryu if jujutsu to begin with. I think you would see a significant similarity of techniques between the two styles.

Good luck with things...

Name
    Jason Chambers
    Martial Art
    Bujutsu

Let's see, Ninpo/Ninjutsu in Louisiana...

You have:

Kelly Hill here in Baton Rouge. Don't think he is taking students though.
    Andrew Tate in Mamou, who is Bujinkan, last I heard.
    John Gautreaux in Lockport... another Bujinkan guy...
    Glenn Morris in Lake Charles... I think... Bujinkan.

As far as Baton Rouge goes, I don't know of anyone else except for Dr. Hill.
    Jason Chambers
    Louisiana Shibucho,
    Kokusai Bugei Kessha
    Shugotenshi Dojo

Name
    Jeremy Hotard
    Martial Art

Heh, when I looked at the listing on ninjutsu.com again I saw that the Baton Rouge Ninjutsu Club, which is the school I saw in Baton Rouge originally, is run by a Jason Chambers. Is that you or just some crazy coincidence that there's another Jason Chambers in Baton Rouge who is into ninjutsu? Hehe.

Anyway, thanks for those names. I did see Dr. Hill on the ninjutsu.com site too. It also says he's probably not taking new students, but I was thinking about e-mailing him just in case. Do you have any contact info on the guy in Lockport? I guess that's as close to New Orleans as I'm gonna get.

Name
    john gautreaux

Default bujinkan shibu

hi,

been very busy,
    am enrolled in college again!!

my e-mail is ninponlafourche@yahoo.com
    john gautreaux

Name
    Jeremy Hotard
    Martial Art

Wow, I didn't think anyone was still monitoring this thread. Thanks for getting back with me, John. I've actually become a member of the Genbukan since making this post. But thanks for the thought. If anything ever falls through with that or something unforseen happens, I'll let you know.

Name
    Jason Chambers
    Martial Art
    Bujutsu

Yes. It is still being monitored...
    Jason Chambers
    Louisiana Shibucho,
    Kokusai Bugei Kessha
    Shugotenshi Dojo

Name
    Jeremy Hotard
    Martial Art

Haha...I was wondering when it would catch your eye too.

Name
    Jason Chambers
    Martial Art
    Bujutsu

Still "monitoring"...
    Jason Chambers
    Louisiana Shibucho,
    Kokusai Bugei Kessha
    Shugotenshi Dojo

Name
    Jeremy Hotard
    Martial Art

So not only are you into ninpo, but you're a necromancer too? Who knew?

Name
    Jason Chambers
    Martial Art
    Bujutsu

Mu hu ha haaaaaaaaaaaa!
    Jason Chambers
    Louisiana Shibucho,
    Kokusai Bugei Kessha
    Shugotenshi Dojo

Name
    Moses Colon
    Martial Art
    A few martial arts thats all

question

Ok Mr hotard there is no need for you to call Mr Chambers a necromancer for there is no need for this in the forum.
    If you join Genbukan , Kokusai then you need not to offend a fellow member of the federation futher more there are a few member here whom are part of the Genbukan, Kokusai who dont run their mouth and say it as you have so please dont break the rules here for you will see respect goes a long way.
    your in the arts of budo.
    Moses Colon
    Arigato Goshamashita
    Metal is tested by fire
    Man is tested by what he says.
    Master T Nobushige
    (1525-1561 AD)

Respectfullyyours
    Moses Colon

新しいの理解するために古いの調査しなさい

Name
    Jeremy Hotard
    Martial Art

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Colon
    Ok Mr hotard there is no need for you to call Mr Chambers a necromancer for there is no need for this in the forum.
    If you join Genbukan , Kokusai then you need not to offend a fellow member of the federation futher more there are a few member here whom are part of the Genbukan, Kokusai who dont run their mouth and say it as you have so please dont break the rules here for you will see respect goes a long way.
    your in the arts of budo.
    Moses Colon
    Arigato Goshamashita
    Ok, I really hope you're joking with this. Did you totally miss the fact that it was a joke all in good fun? Do you know what I meant when I used the term "necromancer"?

Jason and I train together. He's the leader of our little group which is the Louisiana chapter of the Ganseki Dojo in Houston, TX. There was no offense meant in what I said at all. We joke around all the time.

So chill out and calm down. Jeez.

Name
    Jason Chambers
    Martial Art
    Bujutsu

Relax Jeremy...

Mr. Colon, it was just a joke but I appreciate the sentiment.
    Jason Chambers
    Louisiana Shibucho,
    Kokusai Bugei Kessha
    Shugotenshi Dojo

Name
    Moses Colon
    Martial Art
    A few martial arts thats all

My apologies to you mr Chambers and mr hotard
    Just a case of missunderstanding thats all.
    Your in the arts of budo
    Moses Colon
    Arigato Goshamashita
    Metal is tested by fire
    Man is tested by what he says.
    Master T Nobushige
    (1525-1561 AD)

Respectfullyyours
    Moses Colon

新しいの理解するために古いの調査しなさい

Name
    Jeremy Hotard
    Martial Art

Apology accepted. Don't sweat it. Take care.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast