Name
    Aaron Rumsey
    Martial Art
    3rd Degree in Tae Kwon Do, 1st Degree Hapkido, 9th Kyu Shotokan Karate

Default Looking for History of the Nunchucks or Bo Staff?

Just woundering if anyone knows of a website that has the history of the Nunchucks and the history of the Bo Staff??

Name
    Kurt Nordstrom
    Martial Art
    Judo

Wouldn't this be a better post for Japanese weapons?

Name
    Tony "Iron Hands" Urena
    Martial Art
    Okinawan Karate & Kobudo
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteBeltJones
    Wouldn't this be a better post for Japanese weapons?
    Close. Okinawan weapons.
    Try here
    "Once a kata has been learned, it must be practiced repeatedly until it can be applied in an emergency, for knowledge of just the sequence of a form in Karate is useless.” –Gichin Funakoshi

"The teacher is more important than the style."
    - Higa Yuchoku

Name
    Aaron Burns
    Martial Art
    Tae Kwon Do

The bo is not just an Okinawan weapon. It was used by the Chinese and Koreans also. In fact, the Muye Do Bo Tongi describes a seven foot long staff known as a "Kon Bong" that was often equipped with lethal object such as needles or blades. In modern martial arts, the Korean Bo is a eighty inch long staff known as a "Jang Bong" which is Korean for "Long Stick."

This site (http://www.lawrenceks.net/index.cfm?page=18) list several korean weapons from the Muye Do Bo Tongi including the Kon bong. Nowhere in the Muye Do Bo Tongi is the nunchucks listed, meaning that they were not used by the Korean Royal Court. If the nunchucks were used by the Koreans, then they would have appeared in the tribul martial arts of Korea. Now the Muye Do Bo Tongi does list a weapon similiar to the nunchucks called the infantry flail, but its not a nunchuck. (Pyung Kon I think)

This thread has caught my attention in regards to the nunchucks. Are the nunchucks really Korean weapons? Well, time to do some more research.

This site has a lot of history on the Okinawan Bo in general. http://www.bo-staff.com/history_of_the_bo.html
    Last edited by Sapphire; 12-07-2005 at 23:21.
    "You win, I win, either way we both become stronger in the end."
    -I forgot who told me that

"Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't"

"Houston, we have a blonde"

Name
    Tony "Iron Hands" Urena
    Martial Art
    Okinawan Karate & Kobudo
    Blog Entries

He asked about the Bo and Nunchakus specifically..
    No matter who copies them or where their influences are from they are still Okinawan weapons.
    If he'd asked about the staff or three sectional staff, then it would have been a different story.
    "Once a kata has been learned, it must be practiced repeatedly until it can be applied in an emergency, for knowledge of just the sequence of a form in Karate is useless.” –Gichin Funakoshi

- Higa Yuchoku

Name
    Aaron Burns
    Martial Art
    Tae Kwon Do

Uhm, isn't "bo" japanese for staff? And BTW, an excerpt from one of the abstracts from the website that I posted in my previous post says, "The bo, or staff, is probably one of the first weapons that mankind used to defend himself. The history of the bo dates back millennia, and is thought to be used first in China." According to this excerpt, the staff is originally a chinese weapon.

As you can probably see, Okinawa isn't the only country that had a staff weapon. Pretty much every section of the world had a staff weapon. Such as the European Quarter Staff, Korean Jang/Kon Bong, the Chinese staff (dubbed by the Chinese as the "Father of all weapons), and the staff used by Buhdist(<spelt right?) monks.

You cannot just study the history of just one style of a weapon. You have to study the history of different styles of the same weapon. If you want to study the history of the weapon, then you need to also find where it probably originated, its influences, and where and how it's been used.

As for the nunchucks, all I was saying in my last post is that there is evidence that the Koreans had a similiar weapon. Not the nunchucks themselves.
    "You win, I win, either way we both become stronger in the end."
    -I forgot who told me that

"Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't"

"Houston, we have a blonde"

Name
    David Michael Wilson
    Martial Art
    Jujutsu
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire
    You cannot just study the history of just one style of a weapon. You have to study the history of different styles of the same weapon.
    Wow. Why not? Sounds like an arbitrary law to me. I am fairly confident that you can, indeed, study the history of just one style of a weapon, with nearly* zero negative repercussions.

*your mileage may vary
    Before one can become successful, he must learn to tell the difference between what is impossible and what is merely difficult.
    I am not a Doctor. The world has enough of those.

Name
    Tony "Iron Hands" Urena
    Martial Art
    Okinawan Karate & Kobudo
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin
    Wow. Why not? Sounds like an arbitrary law to me. I am fairly confident that you can, indeed, study the history of just one style of a weapon, with nearly* zero negative repercussions.
    True. I agree.

- Higa Yuchoku

Name
    Cliff Hargrave
    Martial Art
    Gracie Jiu-Jitsu
    Blog Entries

Robinhood swung a mean staff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarterstaff
    Jiu-Jitsu - like chess, except you get to choke people.

Banned - Membership Revoked Sabuhm's Avatar
    Name
    James Jerome

Default Origin of staff

I believe the origin of the staff was from God . . .

Ps 23:4 "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me."

(I think the "rod" was one of those "hide-a-chucks" that unscrew in the middle)

Of course, I believe everything we know, or think we know, comes from God, and is already there in nature. We did not invent this stuff. We are just discovering it for the first time, or the hundred millionth time in history.

Here's my answer ~

History of the staff among humans: Once, a long time ago, someone picked up a stick, and hit someone with it.

History of the Nunchakku among humans: Once, not so long ago, someone tied two sticks together and hit someone with it.

Who was the first person to ever hit someone with a stick? I think it was Fred Flintsone hitting Barney Rubble (or vice-versa)

Who was the first person to create a series of skilled moves and teach those moves to another person? I don't know. I doubt that anyone knows the exact first time this happened, or on what continent. It probably predated written history although there might be some cave paintings that suggest an origin.

Who was the first to tie two sticks together and hit someone? I don't know that either, but I am sure there is someone who could give you an exact date, time, location, type of wood and rope used, and the first, middle and last names of those involved. Then they will proceed to tell you the exact documented lineage down the their very own personal Grandmaster who shared this knowledge with them in secret! Perhaps they can also tell you why the call them "numb chucks."

Just having a little fun!

Respectfully,
    Sabuhm
    James Jerome
    Taekwondo Yuk Dan
    (and weaponry instructor)

Name
    Barry A. McConnell
    Martial Art
    Arnis, Hapkido (retired)
    Blog Entries

The invention of the Staff followed shortly after the Creation of Bureaucratium - the heaviest known element in the Universe.
    Barry McConnell

We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts - not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." - George Orwell