Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Name
    Robert Claude
    Martial Art
    Traditional Jujitsu

Default Your never to old to learn martial arts?

People say ur never to old to learn martial arts is that true? Im 22 now ive i left it to late to start learning.

Account Suspended: Noncompliance with full real name rule Yang Wei Xin's Avatar
    Name
    Pancho Dylan

at my school we have a 60 year old man who started when he was 45, he is now a sifu. when he started he was overweight and had a heart condition, both of those problems have been alleviated, and he can do things that ive seen 20 year olds fail at.

Name
    Tong, Xianing
    Martial Art
    5Form Shaolin Gung-Fu, Pao Chuan

I would agree. You are never to old to bring martial art into your life. Though it is a silly thing to ask with you being only 22 years old. I say, find an art that interests you, and get out there and learn it.... now! You'll be happy you did.

Name
    Robert Claude
    Martial Art
    Traditional Jujitsu

I have asthma im worried that training will knock the wind out of me. No other problems besides that. I see alot of advantages if learning martial art and so little not to do it the pros outweigh the cons.

Name
    Tong, Xianing
    Martial Art

Concerning asthma, I had it as well when I was younger. Before I started my full training -at about 10 years- I had trouble running for extended periods of time, and general cardiovasciular activity. Though after my training kicked in full gear and I began T'ai Chi training in the Chen family -called Pao Chuan- my asthma subsided. With the respritory issues I would reccomend starting with any form of T'ai Chi though you may find the Yi branch particularly enlightening. It will help allieviate ailments and generate overall wellness, and give you a great precept to build upon for Gung Fu, or whichever art you undertake. But my opinion is to always take a form of T'ai Chi in conjuction with any art.

Name
    Robert Claude
    Martial Art
    Traditional Jujitsu

I was thinking of taking up Jujutsu seems like a very affective form of self defence. Found a local school npt far from where i live gonna check it out soon. Also teach judo and Budo Taijutsu - Ninjutsu so there more than one style i can take up if i choose to do so ill see how it goes. I did shotokan back in 1998 so im not totally inexperienced.

Name
    Tong, Xianing
    Martial Art

Great! I hope everything goes well for you. Make sure you chime back to tell us how your training is going.

Name
    Dennis de Booij
    Martial Art
    Jiu-jitsu, Judo (retired), Aikido (briefly)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby
    People say ur never to old to learn martial arts is that true? Im 22 now ive i left it to late to start learning.
    We have a man of 74 years of age in our jiu-jitsu club. He graded for his 2nd dan at the same time as I did (2004). He also plays tennis. Last year he started kick-boxing.

I wouldn't worry too much as long as you listen to your body and listen to the advice of your doctor if you have asthma.
    Dennis de Booij

It does not matter if you are heavily outnumbered in a fight involving martial arts - your enemies will wait patiently to attack you one by one by dancing around in a threatening manner until you have knocked out their predecessors.

Name
    Troy Roget
    Martial Art
    Mainly Okinawan Kempo. Various other styles, all poorly. Starting BJJ after Christmas.

While I agree that it's never too late to start martial arts, I think that there should be some sort of age division for classes. My school has a number of people over 60 who are new to martial arts, and while they are able to keep up with learning most of the techniques in the class, but when it comes to physical conditioning, they really hold us back. The better teachers at my school divide up the class and run two separate workouts tailored to the needs of the two groups, but some of the teachers just make everyone do the less strenuous workout. This means that some of us young folks who could be doing sets of 100 pushups end up being told to do a total of 100 pushups in sets of 20. Not cool.
    In practice, don't say, "Uke will do this," or "Uke will not do that." I don't even know what I will do in a fight, let alone what uke will do.

Name
    Polly Roofer
    Martial Art
    Seido karate, Filipino Martial Arts

I just started karate this year at the age of 39, but I've been athletic all my life so I'm not having any trouble with karate. Last year I took a tai chi class so that was my intro into MA I liked tai chi a lot but couldn't find anyone in my area who teaches the real thing. It's mainly geared towards the elderly around here.

Anyway, in my karate class I am not the oldest person by far. There are people in their 50's and up who are beginners. I think it's very inspiring. I have noticed though that when there are classes made up mostly of men, the workouts are harder. If it's mostly women, they're easier. Hmmm...

The bottom line is...you are never too old to start MA.

Name
    Barry A. McConnell
    Martial Art
    Arnis, Hapkido (retired)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TroyRoget
    This means that some of us young folks who could be doing sets of 100 pushups end up being told to do a total of 100 pushups in sets of 20. Not cool.
    And what stops you from doing more than 20 in a set?
    Barry McConnell

We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts - not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." - George Orwell

Name
    Troy Roget
    Martial Art
    Mainly Okinawan Kempo. Various other styles, all poorly. Starting BJJ after Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonMind
    And what stops you from doing more than 20 in a set?
    Well, if I am doing more, I'll be finishing my set long after the rest of the class has started doing something else.
    In practice, don't say, "Uke will do this," or "Uke will not do that." I don't even know what I will do in a fight, let alone what uke will do.

Name
    Barry A. McConnell
    Martial Art
    Arnis, Hapkido (retired)
    Blog Entries

Well, if I am doing more, I'll be finishing my set long after the rest of the class has started doing something else.
    Do them faster...
    Barry McConnell

We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts - not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." - George Orwell

Name
    Franco Monsalve
    Martial Art
    MMA/Combatives

I agree, you're never too old to start training. I have a 53 yr old student, and he's doing very well. My buddy who teaches American Kenpo, has a 65 yr old student who recently earned his Black Belt, and this was AFTER he had open heart surgery!
    Franco Monsalve

Name
    Dađi

Quote Originally Posted by Bengel
    We have a man of 74 years of age in our jiu-jitsu club. He graded for his 2nd dan at the same time as I did (2004). He also plays tennis. Last year he started kick-boxing.

I wouldn't worry too much as long as you listen to your body and listen to the advice of your doctor if you have asthma.
    That's some guy!

Name
    Troy Roget
    Martial Art

Do them faster...
    While I doubt I could get in 100 pushups in the time that everybody else is doing 20, I could probably do 30. That's a good idea.

Name
    Barry A. McConnell
    Martial Art
    Arnis, Hapkido (retired)
    Blog Entries

While I doubt I could get in 100 pushups in the time that everybody else is doing 20, I could probably do 30. That's a good idea.
    Another alternative is to make your 20 more difficult, e.g. fingertip, one-handed, single foot support, on a decline, etc.
    Barry McConnell

- Thomas Jefferson

Name
    Kara Johnson
    Martial Art
    Aikido (on hiaitus)

Quote Originally Posted by seidogirl
    I just started karate this year at the age of 39, but I've been athletic all my life so I'm not having any trouble with karate. Last year I took a tai chi class so that was my intro into MA I liked tai chi a lot but couldn't find anyone in my area who teaches the real thing. It's mainly geared towards the elderly around here.

Anyway, in my karate class I am not the oldest person by far. There are people in their 50's and up who are beginners. I think it's very inspiring. I have noticed though that when there are classes made up mostly of men, the workouts are harder. If it's mostly women, they're easier. Hmmm...

The bottom line is...you are never too old to start MA.
    Glad to hear from you Polly! I also started Aikido when I was 39 and, like you, have always been athletic. Unfortunately that doesn't always help.
    The three females in my class are not only the oldest but the beginners. We may take a bit longer to catch on and to throw each other (a little more wary of injuries), but we do most of what the guys do, and at times train with them.
    So, Bobby if you think you're too old, then I guess I'm way beyond hope.
    Jump right in, it's for all ages!!
    Kara Johnson

"...without a life to speak of..."

Awaiting Email Confirmation John Lucas's Avatar
    Name
    John Lucas
    Martial Art
    Shao-lin Kung Fu, Muay Thai, some Grappling/wrestling

Another alternative is to make your 20 more difficult, e.g. fingertip, one-handed, single foot support, on a decline, etc.
    Yeah try them Cat Style (That's just what I heard them called, on your fingertips, with your but up in the air, put your nose down, then make your back flat and go back up.) A couple sets of those in 20 should definitely tire you out. They take a little longer to complete too so you will be pushing yourself to keep up.

Name
    Xu Wenfung
    Martial Art
    Karate

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby
    I started MA at age of 20 (Aikido) at my University. My Chemistry degree course was too easy and I have too much spare time ( ). Still sticking with this silly art to this day . Prior to this I have no exposure whatsoever to MA. At the age of 31 I started Judo. I think I am a masochist with the abuse I put my body through.
    Xu Wenfung

iitai? iitai? iitakunai daiyo! Yowaimushi dese ne!
    Translation:- Is it painful? Is it painful? No is isn't! You are a wimp, aren't you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast