Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Name
    Todd Kindinger
    Martial Art
    Karate/Wrestling/Muay Thai

Default Please Tell me this is a SCAM!!!!!!

Has anyone here ever been to a website named trsdirect?
    The styles that they advertise sound absolutely ridiculous. Honestly there is stuff that brags about how you can kill someone by throwing a pencil at them. Ever heard of Ghetto Blocks? The style that was created by elite gang members and is supposed to destroy all other styles. Who do these people think they are???

peace

Name
    Cliff Hargrave
    Martial Art
    Gracie Jiu-Jitsu
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karate Freak
    Has anyone here ever been to a website named trsdirect?
    The styles that they advertise sound absolutely ridiculous. Honestly there is stuff that brags about how you can kill someone by throwing a pencil at them. Ever heard of Ghetto Blocks? The style that was created by elite gang members and is supposed to destroy all other styles. Who do these people think they are???

peace
    It's real TRS has been around for a long time. They take out several page ads in magazines and their advertising is just plain silly. But it must work for them because they are still around and going strong. I think they target folks that don't train and will believe their marketing.

Now, that being said, I have seen several TRS tapes, that were loaned to me, and there are a few gems in there. You just have to wade through the ton of BS to find them.

I have seen this set: http://www.trsdirect.com/product.php?sku=FC-77 and is actually has some great firearm disarming techinques. They even show them against real guns loaded with simunition. Vunak and Cucci also have some pretty good stuff through TRS. But most of the other stuff is either really basic or complete garbage.

I don't buy any instructionals though, only borrow them. If I ever did spend money on them it would not be with TRS. There are a whole lot of other companies putting out much better instructionals.
    Jiu-Jitsu - like chess, except you get to choke people.

Name
    Joe Diener
    Martial Art
    Mixed

question

I'm just curious if anyone here has actually SEEN their BS videos.
    Like Dr. V's DVDs
    or Ghetto Blocks

There are a crapload of video series like this. Each person he talks to claims to be the most deadly person in the world, and has 7 "secret" moves that no one else knows and will kill you without any problems. So has anyone seen these videos? What exactly do they try to teach you?

BTW, I don't believe the hype, I'm just curious.
    -Joe Diener

Blunt Force Trauma Productions *click*

-KIKS Team
    -Teknon Fos Martial Arts Institute
    -Grappler X
    -MBBC Wrestling

I wish to not be a blackbelt as much as a perpetual white belt.

Name
    Patrick Wilson
    Martial Art
    Shotokan Oshima
    Blog Entries

I mean no disrespect, but to have pencil throwing and makshift throwing daggers via coat hangers as a main attraction is kind of...... lame. It may work but it seems that haveing a coat hanger on me would be a little odd. I agree though, he/they want people who have no experience with fighting and who would fall for their adds.
    http://sites.google.com/site/chicoshotokan/
    Always Train, Always Learn
    Patrick Wilson

Name
    Doni Pulley
    Martial Art
    Kempo

Default Yuck

there is no Ultimate martial art
    Any plan is better than no plan...

Name
    Allan Anderson
    Martial Art
    HapKiDo, Boxing

Quote Originally Posted by Doni Pulley
    Not on this planet at least:

Grand Celestial Do
    Respectfully,
    Allan J.G. Anderson

"I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns"
    -Tim Moen

Name
    Russell Gussman
    Martial Art
    armchair martial arts

Thumbs up

Do You Own A Weapon?
    If so… you MUST read this special advance release right now…

President, TRS
    Dear Friend:

Please read the following couple of paragraphs right away. I have to be sure you understand how critical this release is.

Here’s what is going on: I just got out of a "high level" meeting with local ranking police honchos. We discussed a new super-secret "SWAT Police ONLY" seminar that is tentatively scheduled for next October. I can’t give out any other details… except that you would never get past the doors for any amount of money unless you were an active-duty "Code Red" SWAT cop. Even then, your department would have to shell out $1,235.00 for expenses and equipment… because this will be a LIVE AMMO seminar.

I give this one three thumbs up-for humor.
    2/505 Parachute Infantry Regiment
    82nd Airborne Division
    1990-1991 Gulf War

Name
    Remy Laroussou
    Martial Art
    Savate and Submission

Talking

Check out the Bullshido expose on TRS' Dan Weber's "Filthy Jailhouse Fighting Secrets", it's quite funny:

http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php...article&id=274

and reviews:

http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php...article&id=275

Banned - Membership Revoked SheWolf's Avatar
    Name
    Layla Nickolas

I think we need to start a movement against the corruption of Martial Arts.

Name
    Allan Anderson
    Martial Art
    HapKiDo, Boxing

Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf
    We've already done that, contact Soke Jared Sutton.
    Respectfully,
    Allan J.G. Anderson

"I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns"
    -Tim Moen

Name
    Joe Diener
    Martial Art
    Mixed

Thats what bullshido.com is all about.
    -Joe Diener

Blunt Force Trauma Productions *click*

-KIKS Team
    -Teknon Fos Martial Arts Institute
    -Grappler X
    -MBBC Wrestling

I wish to not be a blackbelt as much as a perpetual white belt.

Name
    Remy Laroussou
    Martial Art
    Savate and Submission

That said, I'll echo what another member said, some of the TRS stuff is decent. I know, for example, the Russian Mega Fighting with Taktarov and Vasiliev is a good film.

However, the way TRS markets and describes everything, it's always overhyped by %260. That makes it hard to weed through the crap. They claim that they will refund it if you don't like it, but I have no idea if it would be worth it and I assume you wouldn't get back shipping costs. A lot of their stuff is really exspensive as well. Average of $60 US...

Name
    Philip Givens
    Martial Art
    Bushido

that is an excellent idea. one problem though, who decides whats BS and whats not? Everyone (myself included) who invests time in their martial art believes that they are training with the best (if they dont then they generally leave to find someone beter!) and that they’re not wasting their time. it takes someone very special to turn around and go 'hang on a sec, this is B&!&@$s!'. people dont like to be wrong.
    Say you spend £100,000 on a car (if only i could!) and the car turns out to be rubbish, it steers like a tin can, it handles like a whale. You'd look a bit silly after spending all that money on it so of course we say 'brilliant car, fabulous worth every penny (or cent)' to justify ourselves.
    And unfortunately because of this the standards are sliping to the degree of 9 year olds with blackbelts! Dojos are turning into day care centres. In England we have schools where you pay to get up to a certain belt! Just £2,000 to get to your 5th belt (of which there are 15) and once you've paid for your blackbelt dont forget the masters course and the leadership course!!
    It is up to the individual to make their decision to wade though the ********. There are many who are dedicated but are on the wrong path.

But on the mat BS falls short.

Name
    Remy Laroussou
    Martial Art
    Savate and Submission

Exclamation

Regarding the "pencil throwing"...

I saw an interesting series on martial arts on BBC called Mind, Body, and Kick *** Moves, and this one Kung-Fu guy in Hong Kong could throw chopsticks through 1 inch thick wood board from 20 feet away. I thought that was pretty cool. However, the guy was very strange, as he had an "iron penis" aspect to his art, and demonstrated tugging a truck by his balls.

As for "Ghetto Blocks", it is really hard find out if someone is lying about being taught one of those styles. You would have to know some connections in the African-American gang and/or jail world to be able to ask around about something like that. However, the styles do exist under various names and forms, such as "52 Blocks" and "Jailhouse Rock". I have never heard of it being taught to enforcers on the street, my understanding is that it is a self-defense system for in jail, but as years went on there is only a few O.G.s left that actually know and practice this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/52_Blocks

Name
    Todd Kindinger
    Martial Art
    Karate/Wrestling/Muay Thai

To my knowledge, Ghetto Blocks is supposed to be a combination of
    52 Blocks/Jailhouse Rock and Ghetto Boxing. I don't know whats so special about these two styles, but I know that the hype is BS.
    No such thing as best styles, only best fighters.
    peace

Name
    david burkhart
    Martial Art
    mixed martial arts

no i havent is if it as ridiculous as you say its probably some one goofing of

Name
    david burkhart
    Martial Art
    mixed martial arts

it seem that either someone is goofing off or is trying to categorise or style some sort of street brawling

Name
    Remy Laroussou
    Martial Art
    Savate and Submission

Quote Originally Posted by Karate Freak
    To my knowledge, Ghetto Blocks is supposed to be a combination of
    52 Blocks/Jailhouse Rock and Ghetto Boxing. I don't know whats so special about these two styles, but I know that the hype is BS.
    No such thing as best styles, only best fighters.
    peace
    Of course it's overhyped. No style is going to destroy all styles. Roughly 80% is going to be the fighter almost every time IMO.

TRS just simply over hypes EVERYTHING. I have no idea why the choose to do this, because it makes them look soo n00b with the "so d34dly!" crap IMO, they should just be honest.

The thing is it doesn't necessarily reflect on the instructor/fighter. Once TRS makes the tapes they own the copyright to them and can say whatever they want. They do the marketing.

A lot of instructors who filmed with them often end up doing films on their own later on. For example, if you look at the Systema stuff released directly by Systema HQ, they don't over exaggerate stuff even a fragment of the way TRS did.

Just something to keep in mind.

Name
    Joshua Lemonds
    Martial Art
    Muay Thai

It sounds like a big scam, if you ask me. It deserves mention on bullshido.net (God, I love that site ).

Yeah, maybe I'll sell some DVDs of my own to TRSDirect. I'll show YOU how to kill a person with a looseleaf notebook.

Seriously, it really makes me sad that there are so many frauds out there that sucker people into thinking that they're actually teaching them how to defend themselves. Especially if the said victim ends up trying to use it and ends up getting killed on the street. Since they trusted the person that took their money to teach them how to make themselves safer.

Maybe we SHOULD start a movement against the corruption of martial arts. Like SheWolf suggested.

Josh

Name
    Ron Dupuis

Quote Originally Posted by Doni Pulley
    There is no ultimate martial art ......Only ultimate warriors
    "One Door Closes, Another One Opens" .....Options Options Options

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast