Name
    Nathan Markham

Default Shaolin Training Manuals

Has anyone had any experience with the shaolin training manuals that are supposedly being offered online? I've seen several sites offering what appear to be, translated kung fu manuals.

Any thoughts on these?

Nathan Markham

cantankerous curmudgeon sean_stonehart's Avatar
    Name
    Sean Stonehart
    Martial Art
    Maht Jhong Lama Pai
    Blog Entries

Yeah like anything they're great reference material if you already know the material & want to verify or brush up on something, but nothing to be learned from.

If you've already received the basics of a "style" then manuals can be used to learn from since you should already know the transitioning & footwork used to go from step to step, but that should be done sparingly & the corrected ASAFP by somebody who knows the piece of material.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Account Closed at Members Request Digi's Avatar
    Name
    Stuart Gordon
    Martial Art
    Guerilla Grip

thumbs up Shaolin Manuals

I totally agree with Sean. Find proper instruction before trying something that you've seen on the internet. Improper training due to bad form can lead to injury over time. I did a quick search on Shaolin training manuals, and the closest thing that I came across was this:

http://www.shaolinwolf.com/subsites/xiaohongquan.htm

What websites were you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart
    Yeah like anything they're great reference material if you already know the material & want to verify or brush up on something, but nothing to be learned from.

If you've already received the basics of a "style" then manuals can be used to learn from since you should already know the transitioning & footwork used to go from step to step, but that should be done sparingly & the corrected ASAFP by somebody who knows the piece of material.

Name
    Stephen Caruana

Yeah, careful about such online material. As a general rule of thumb, I prefer not to consider such material unless I know it's form a reliable source. And even then, most of the time the stuff is too generic, or commercial, to be of proper usefulness.

It's extremely easy to get injured in martial arts, especially with internal training. More often than not, such injuries are hard to detect, and they'll only emerge after quite some damage has been done. Recovering from such injuries is not always easy, and depending on what training you're doing, injuries could be related to your internal organs, not just external muscular structure or tissues.

It is always advisable to seek out proper advice and someone who knows what he or she is doing, to guide you properly in whatever training you wish to start.
    Be sure to visit www.martialartsguild.com

Name
    Nathan Markham

Default Training Manuals

I sure wouldn't rely on manuals in lieu of actual training. The website I was referring to was shaolinsecrets.com

My main questioning is whether these manuals are the real thing or if they are just fabricated.

Nathan Markham

Name
    Sean Stonehart
    Martial Art
    Maht Jhong Lama Pai
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nathanmarkham
    I sure wouldn't rely on manuals in lieu of actual training. The website I was referring to was shaolinsecrets.com

My main questioning is whether these manuals are the real thing or if they are just fabricated.

Nathan Markham
    Well they are real in the fact they're out there. Whether or not they contain authentic training materials... caveat emptor. I've seen plenty that do & also plenty that don't.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Name
    Stuart Gordon
    Martial Art
    Guerilla Grip

wink2 Authenticity of a Training Manual?

I've been reading a specific book that talks about training manuals used in kung fu, but which ones were authentic? I think this would be an excellent topic to discuss.

Name
    Sean Stonehart
    Martial Art
    Maht Jhong Lama Pai
    Blog Entries

Well then don't just throw a blind topic out there... give up some specifics man!!

Name
    Stuart Gordon
    Martial Art
    Guerilla Grip

thumbs up CMA & Training Manuals

I purchased book Chinese Martial Arts Training Manuals: A Historical Survery (by Brian Kennedy & Elizabeth Guo), and goes into a bit of details about history of the manuals used for various kung fu styles. It's very good.

I think certified sifus should issue students personal training manuals in addition to receiving a belt. It's good for reference, and for students want to continue training, even though they may have been away for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart
    Well then don't just throw a blind topic out there... give up some specifics man!!

Name
    Sean Stonehart
    Martial Art
    Maht Jhong Lama Pai
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Digi
    I purchased book Chinese Martial Arts Training Manuals: A Historical Survery (by Brian Kennedy & Elizabeth Guo), and goes into a bit of details about history of the manuals used for various kung fu styles. It's very good.
    I've heard of it but not picked it up. I think Brian is a member here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Digi
    I think certified sifus should issue students personal training manuals in addition to receiving a belt. It's good for reference, and for students want to continue training, even though they may have been away for some time.
    hehehe.... it's handled in a Bai Si ceremony with the "old school" TCMA schools. The student would get a booklet with stuff like that in it after being accepted "in doors" by the teacher... sometimes. It wasn't a guarantee.

But you're right, with a student who has the basics & foundation of a style, reference material is great for keeping sets up that aren't practiced each day. But that IMHO goes for people who already know it & aren't trying to learn it from...