Super Moderator
    Name
    Jason
    Martial Art
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali, Muay Thai, and Garimot Harimaw Buno

Default Knife vs. gun at short ranges

Anyone wonder why the 21 foot rule exists? Take a look at the video below put together years ago by the South African police. Barry (Dragonmind) has been making this point on here for years (among others) but I thought this video did a nice job of bringing the point home.

Now, before people start jumping in (you know who you are ), it is obvious that the officers in this training video made no attempt to get off line or create space in order to have more time to deploy their handgun. So, there are obvious problems with the vid itself from that regard. However, the point remains valid that at close distance, you could run into serious trouble with against a knife wielding assailant even if you are packing a gun.

Please note that some of the links that exist on this page may not be suitable for minors or those that are easily offended.

LINK
    For now, more than ever before, being sincere and dedicated is not enough. We must also be right. - Walter Kroll. 1971

Name
    Cliff Hargrave
    Martial Art
    Gracie Jiu-Jitsu
    Blog Entries

Lots of variables here to consider. Surprise attacks are hard to defend against, no matter if they have a knife, gun, or empty handed. You can make the same video showing the bad guy punching the officer or drawing his own gun and the result will be the same.

Our goal in training is to get them to do something. Ideally they will perceive the threat and take action before it reaches that level, however when caught flat footed, the off line, create space, access weapon mode is what we shoot for. Trying to undo the "deer in headlights" stance is difficult with some folks.
    Jiu-Jitsu - like chess, except you get to choke people.

Name
    Ted Truscott
    Martial Art
    Shorin-Ji Ryu karate, Chen Style taiji

I think the point of the original was to encourage getting off line and the use of the off hand which is now so standard seeing folks not do it looks just wrong.

Ted
    "Fear, not compassion, restrains the wicked."

Name
    Don Roley
    Martial Art
    Sentoujutsu
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sochin View Post
    I think the point of the original was to encourage getting off line and the use of the off hand which is now so standard seeing folks not do it looks just wrong.

Ted
    Or, on an even more basic level- don't just rely on the gun all the time to save you.

I once heard of a case where a federal agent got on an elevator and as the doors were closing he and a guy he brought in, who later escaped, recognized each other. According to the story, both guys emptied their pistols inside the elevator without any of the shots hitting the other guy. The officer had an automatic and the bad guy a revolver, so after dropping the old magazine the officer was able to get the drop on the bad guy and bring him in.

When I heard it, I could not help but think of the fact that I know a lot of guys who if I tried to go for a pistol that close to them would be all over me like ugly on ape. I would never get a chance to pull the firearm. They could even slow down my drawing a pistol with their weak hand while they pulled their pistol with their strong hand. Yet these guys first instinct when faced with someone going for their gun within arms reach was to ignore the option of trying to stop the other guys draw and only go for thier own pistol.

I think that this mindset is the danger out there. The people that post here already think in terms of bringing everything they have to the fight and not just their firearm. Most folks who carry a firearm don't think they need anything else it seems.
    Guns don't kill people. Ninjas kill people.

Name
    Rick Ingle

I want to take this course: http://www.suarezinternationalstore....ROD&ProdID=663

Suarez has also teamed up with the Dog Brothers and offered blade courses. Your comments Don, on CCW holders thinking that the answer to all their problems lives in their holster. More options are more better.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Roley View Post
    Or, on an even more basic level- don't just rely on the gun all the time to save you.

I once heard of a case where a federal agent got on an elevator and as the doors were closing he and a guy he brought in, who later escaped, recognized each other. According to the story, both guys emptied their pistols inside the elevator without any of the shots hitting the other guy. The officer had an automatic and the bad guy a revolver, so after dropping the old magazine the officer was able to get the drop on the bad guy and bring him in.

When I heard it, I could not help but think of the fact that I know a lot of guys who if I tried to go for a pistol that close to them would be all over me like ugly on ape. I would never get a chance to pull the firearm. They could even slow down my drawing a pistol with their weak hand while they pulled their pistol with their strong hand. Yet these guys first instinct when faced with someone going for their gun within arms reach was to ignore the option of trying to stop the other guys draw and only go for thier own pistol.

I think that this mindset is the danger out there. The people that post here already think in terms of bringing everything they have to the fight and not just their firearm. Most folks who carry a firearm don't think they need anything else it seems.

Name
    Barry A. McConnell
    Martial Art
    Arnis, Hapkido (retired)
    Blog Entries

A common misconception is that the "21-foot rule" exists. Actually the Tuellers study observed that a knife attacker could cover on average 21 feet before an unprepared officer could draw his service weapon and put rounds on target. Force Science News had a good piece on this a couple years back link
    Barry McConnell

We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts - not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." - George Orwell

Name
    Kenny Smith
    Martial Art
    Taekwondo,Combat Hapkido,MCMAP,Filipino Stick/Knife,HaganaH,Combat Shooting,Martial Blade Concepts

What kind of short range are we talking about?

Outside Contact range (assuming drawn weapon and prepared/threat-oriented) the firearm is king. However, if the weapon is not target oriented and "hot" the edged/impact weapon is top dog any day.

Inside Contact range, the firearm is more a liability than a useful tool.

And the Die Less Often (Suarez/Dog Bros.) DVD's are a good set of knowledge. Make sure you train in Gabe's Close Range Gunfighting to understand some of it though.

Name
    Austin Funderburk
    Martial Art
    Progressive Fighting Systems (Jeet Kune Do & Kali), Muay Thai, and previously BJJ

Let us not forget that a knife will never jam, and never run out of ammo. I agree with Kenny that a gun at times can be more of a liability.

I also like what Don said:

Quote Originally Posted by Don Roley View Post

But let us neither discount or disrespect the power of a firearm in the hands of a compitant user. Even the incompitant are capable of destroying lives very easily, employing very little skill.
    "A loss is not a failure if you walk away with something to show for it besides the bruises. Without loss there can be no learning, no skill, no advancement"

Name
    Kenny Smith
    Martial Art
    Taekwondo,Combat Hapkido,MCMAP,Filipino Stick/Knife,HaganaH,Combat Shooting,Martial Blade Concepts

In tight quarters, carrying a firearm can be your own undoing. My theory on that (to elaborate, since someone agreed, I just want to clarify my theory behind it) used to be the gun grab. Earlier tonight in Combat Hapkido class, I had an epiphany. And I must yet again give the close quarters edge to the edged OR impact weapon and inside 3 yards, I would give an empty handed attacker an edge over the firearm as well....

I was actually drilling w/ another Combat Hapkido Student (we SUPPOSED TO BE, and actually started, going over my 1st Dan requirements... which gravitated into weapon retention as we are both CCW holders) tonight and came to prove something that I say all the time in classes that up until recently was theory to me. How many people carry a gun, but not a knife? Now... How many carry only one knife and a gun? If you fit into the 1 each category, where do you carry it?

If I only were to carry my GLOCK and 1 (never... I carry at all 4 corners) knife, I would carry my knife on the support side... Why?

In the event a subject closes the distance before I can draw or before I would be justified in drawing (Just because you carry a hammer, doesn't mean every attacker is a nail) and gets his hands on my weapon... All the locks in the world are great... But I don't like the idea of cranking on a guy who is hands-on with MY gun... Support side knife carry enables me to trap the hand and the old "Pound his grip 'til he lets go" takes on a WHOLE new meaning when I'm pounding with my Blackhawk Be-Wharned in hand...

Food for thought guys/gals.

Name
    Cliff Hargrave
    Martial Art
    Gracie Jiu-Jitsu
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncon214 View Post
    In tight quarters, carrying a firearm can be your own undoing.

...and not carrying one can be your undoing to. Lets face it, fighting/combat/self defense or whatever is dangerous. There are so many ways to you can be attacked that you cannot possibly cover them all, all of the time.

The whole Tuellers rule actually boils down to awareness and taking the appropriate initial steps. I don't care who you are, you can be caught flat footed and just hope that you survive the initial attack and respond correctly. The sad part about life is some people do everything right and still lose.
    Jiu-Jitsu - like chess, except you get to choke people.

Name
    Kenny Smith
    Martial Art

You're exactly right... Just because the dangers of the danger or gun grabs and/or the knife's awesome capabilities at contact distance.... I still put the firearm on my hip every time I have my pants on.

It's amazing how much, if you can spot the threat from a distance which to a situationally aware individual is NOT hard at all, compliance you can get with a verbal challenge, illuminating the subject with white light (if you carry a gun and not a high intensity flashlight, you are asking for trouble (Target Positive ID) these days and with lights such as the Streamlight Scorpion and various SureFires there is no excuse for it), and letting them stare down the barrel of your carry piece, the verbal challenge of "STOP!!! BACK AWAY!!!! DROP THE ____(insert here)____!!!" might actually work, and if it doesn't... well then it's up to your carry load of choice and shot placement to cause the threat to reconsider their negative attitude.

Name
    Jonathan Randall Grimm

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Hargrave View Post
    The whole Tuellers rule actually boils down to awareness and taking the appropriate initial steps. I don't care who you are, you can be caught flat footed and just hope that you survive the initial attack and respond correctly. The sad part about life is some people do everything right and still lose.
    Well said and point taken; particularly since you've been carrying in the line of duty for longer than some posters here have been alive.

Name
    Barry A. McConnell
    Martial Art
    Arnis, Hapkido (retired)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncon214 View Post
    You're exactly right... Just because the dangers of the danger or gun grabs and/or the knife's awesome capabilities at contact distance.... I still put the firearm on my hip every time I have my pants on.

It's amazing how much, if you can spot the threat from a distance which to a situationally aware individual is NOT hard at all, compliance you can get with a verbal challenge, illuminating the subject with white light (if you carry a gun and not a high intensity flashlight, you are asking for trouble (Target Positive ID) these days and with lights such as the Streamlight Scorpion and various SureFires there is no excuse for it), and letting them stare down the barrel of your carry piece, the verbal challenge of "STOP!!! BACK AWAY!!!! DROP THE ____(insert here)____!!!" might actually work, and if it doesn't... well then it's up to your carry load of choice and shot placement to cause the threat to reconsider their negative attitude.
    And what is your plan for those places where you can't carry your firearms or blades? Hint, the correct answer is NOT unarmed combat...
    Barry McConnell

We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts - not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." - George Orwell

Name
    Jonathan Randall Grimm

Quote Originally Posted by DragonMind View Post
    And what is your plan for those places where you can't carry your firearms or blades? Hint, the correct answer is NOT unarmed combat...
    Perhaps he can hand them his impressive resume for their perusal...

I'm reminded of the mass shooting at Lubby's Dinner in Texas where one of the potential victims threw a table through the window in order to escape - thus saving his own life and the lives of those who followed him to safety. My guess is that a judicious and quick use of your environment - avenues of escape, potential weapons, cover and concealment, etc. is probably your best and only option. As Cliff wrote, and I'm sure you probably agree, sometimes you can do everything right and still lose.

Name
    Tony "Iron Hands" Urena
    Martial Art
    Okinawan Karate & Kobudo
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DragonMind View Post
    A prepared person is always armed even if he doesn't have a knife or a gun on them. I'm not talking about some pseudo make believe hideaway weapon, either.
    Last edited by TonyU; 01-21-2010 at 19:40.
    Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.

Administrator and Benevolent Dictator Webmaster's Avatar
    Name
    Robert Carver
    Martial Art
    Jujutsu, Judo, Shorinryu Karatedo
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Randall View Post
    Perhaps he can hand them his impressive resume for their perusal....
    LOL!

Oh my Gawd, that's easily the funniest thing I have read all day. Thanks for the before bed chuckle.
    Robert M. Carver
    Administrator, Benevolent Dictator & Bodhisattva
    BudoSeek! Martial Arts Community

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

“In a time of universal deceit – telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject."

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." Gerald Ford in a Presidential address to a joint session of Congress (12 August 1974)

Name
    Jeff Cook
    Martial Art
    Brazilian and classical JJ, judo

I find some of the definitive comments heard regarding knife-over-gun superiority inside a certain range a bit unrealistic/incomplete and uneducated.

Obviously if someone is holding a knife to your throat and your firearm is holstered, you have a problem. However, that is not a realistic comparison of the merits of one weapon over the other.

With any weapon, one must practice carry, draw, and attack repeatedly - while moving offline and parrying with the weak hand. To assume that someone with a holstered firearm is automatically at a disadvantage to a knife attack inside a certain range is erroneous. Given two people, one carrying a sheathed or pocketed knife (even open), and one carrying a holstered firearm in battery, there probably is not going to be a difference in drawing time for either weapon. I would argue that a firearm in battery can most likely attack quicker, as the gun arm does not need to be extended into the target like a knife in order to have effect-on-target - if the proper holster and clothing is worn. Chosing the right equipment and method of carry can have an enormous impact on firearm deployability.

Kenny, regarding your comment "Earlier tonight in Combat Hapkido class, I had an epiphany. And I must yet again give the close quarters edge to the edged OR impact weapon and inside 3 yards, I would give an empty handed attacker an edge over the firearm as well...."

To this I say you would benefit by training with a qualified combat handgun instructor before coming to any conclusions about your epiphany. As Cliff said, there are way too many variables and possible attack scenarios to come to any broad conclusions.

Jeff Cook
    "Beware of entrance to a quarrel but being in, bear't that the opposed may beware of thee." - Polonius

De inimico non loquaris sed cogites.
    Do not wish ill for your enemy....plan it.