Super Moderator
    Name
    Jason
    Martial Art
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali, Muay Thai, and Garimot Harimaw Buno

Default Best expandable baton?

Any thoughts on who makes the best expandable baton? I'd like to get one and while the only product I have any experience with is ASP, I know there are others out there.

So, what do we think?
    For now, more than ever before, being sincere and dedicated is not enough. We must also be right. - Walter Kroll. 1971

Name
    Jeff Cook
    Martial Art
    Brazilian and classical JJ, judo

Sorry Jason; I only have experience with the ASP 16". It closes down to about six inches, which makes it suitable as a kubotan/yawara. It is easily concealable too, due to its collapsed size.

Jeff Cook
    "Beware of entrance to a quarrel but being in, bear't that the opposed may beware of thee." - Polonius

De inimico non loquaris sed cogites.
    Do not wish ill for your enemy....plan it.

Administrator and Benevolent Dictator Webmaster's Avatar
    Name
    Robert Carver
    Martial Art
    Jujutsu, Judo, Shorinryu Karatedo
    Blog Entries

Jason, just be aware that the expandable batons may or may not be legal in your area. Around here, they can only be sold to LEOs. So be sure to check your local laws.
    Robert M. Carver
    Administrator, Benevolent Dictator & Bodhisattva
    BudoSeek! Martial Arts Community

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

“In a time of universal deceit – telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject."

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." Gerald Ford in a Presidential address to a joint session of Congress (12 August 1974)

Name
    Cliff Hargrave
    Martial Art
    Gracie Jiu-Jitsu
    Blog Entries

In Texas you can own them, but you can't possess them in public unless traveling to and from an event that uses them (like a martial arts class). It's a catch-all law that refers to any type of "club." It's easier to carry a gun.

I have seen the longest ASP bend from hitting a person. I carried the medium length one for years and it never bent, but I have never been very impressed with it. There are really only three companies to choose from, ASP, Casco, and Monadnock. One of my friends used to carry a Casco and I remember it being a thicker metal than ASP. It's been a while though. Try to find a Cop store around there and see of you can hold them.
    Jiu-Jitsu - like chess, except you get to choke people.

Name
    Brian R. VanCise
    Martial Art
    Instinctive Response Training

Yes definitely look into your local law to see if you can even carry it.
    I have some experience with Monadnock and quite a bit with ASP. Personally I like the ASP better.

Super Moderator
    Name
    Jason
    Martial Art

I Have already looked into the local laws and yes it is easier to carry a gun than a baton but it can be done depending on the circumstances.

Thanks,
    For now, more than ever before, being sincere and dedicated is not enough. We must also be right. - Walter Kroll. 1971

Name
    David Craik
    Martial Art
    Sweatin' to the Oldies
    Blog Entries

I've talked to a few cops that have used expandable batons and I got the distinct impression they weren't too enthused with them. One dropped the thing in frustration after belaboring an intoxicated subject to no effect and simply punched out the guy with his fist.

I actually like the sprung ones myself..more a blackjack than a baton. With a fairly sharp-edged weight at the end you can tear hunks of flesh clean off with every blow.

Name
    Cliff Hargrave
    Martial Art
    Gracie Jiu-Jitsu
    Blog Entries

Here is the problem with them. They were copied from the Japanese baton, which works. We got them over here and tried to use them with our standard baton procedures that targeted large muscle groups. This was great with a hickory baton or a PR-24. The expandable metal baton just didn't have enough mass and weight to make a good strike. The Japanese police batons were used differently. They don't seem to have a problem with hitting someone in the head or neck with it, which is a big no-no here. So for our more "humane" baton use, they just don't perform well.

Using it as an FMA weapon, which is what I am sure Jason intends, it should work fine.
    Jiu-Jitsu - like chess, except you get to choke people.

Super Moderator
    Name
    Jason
    Martial Art

My plan is to use it in solo baston fashion or even baston y daga fashion should the necessity arise. Thanks Cliff for that statement. I was looking at a Baton training manual online the other day and I noticed the large muscle group targeting and was curious about it but I didn't take it to the next step and make that connection. Good stuff, I knew I could count on you guys!

Name
    David Craik
    Martial Art
    Sweatin' to the Oldies
    Blog Entries

Good insight Cliff, thanks.

Name
    Erik Michaels
    Martial Art
    The older I get, the tougher I was.

One more thing - at least in CA the non-spring-loaded ones are legal but the spring loaded ones are not.

The non-spring-loaded ones close by banging the butt against something hard (like the ground) and open by flicking.

They looked painful and hurt my hand when I was playing with it but, per Cliff's post, against someone who is not being sensible (like a training buddy) I cannot see them being that useful unless you're thumping something hard like a skull, face, elbow, or back of the hand.

If you discover otherwise, please explain to me, I'd like to know. Perhaps my imagination was failing me.
    I realize you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I am not so sure about is whether what you think you heard is what I think I meant.

Super Moderator
    Name
    Jason
    Martial Art

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    ) I cannot see them being that useful unless you're thumping something hard like a skull, face, elbow, or back of the hand.
    Those sound pretty close to the places I would be thinking about hitting should I ever be unfortunate enough to have to use the darn thing though I would also add the clavicle, the knee, and the ankle.

I hope to hell I never have to actually do it but if I do, that is what we train for... As a matter of fact, in my Kali class tonight we trained baston y daga for about 30 minutes and that is exactly what I was thinking about.

This is what I am looking at right now but I am definitely going to check them out in person first. I have used the ASP in the past while training so I am somewhat familiar with their product. I use 26 inch sticks while training so that would likely be the size I would go with. http://www.batons.com/autolock.html
    Last edited by jwinch2; 12-07-2009 at 21:53.

Name
    Paul Denton

I've had 2 cheapy $20 26" collapsible batons, and so far both of them bent during testing, taking only a hard one handed hit or two to bend at the last joint. I thought it was just because I was going with a no name baton, but from reading this thread, even ASP batons will bend. You would think that it would be possible to make it unbendable by human means at the thicknesses and materials that they are making these, but apparently not.
    So has anybody put name brand batons to a head to head test against each other to see which ones are the strongest at the longer lengths?

Name
    Barry A. McConnell
    Martial Art
    Arnis, Hapkido (retired)
    Blog Entries

FCS teaches tactical baton from the FMA perspective and the first thing they tell you is it is NOT an impact weapon as Cliff so rightly points out. It is great for joint manipulation and chokes but not much else.

I've used ASP, Monadnock and el-cheapo. ASP is the only way to go IMHO.
    Barry McConnell

We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts - not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." - George Orwell

Super Moderator
    Name
    Jason
    Martial Art

Thanks Barry!