Name
    David Craik
    Martial Art
    Sweatin' to the Oldies
    Blog Entries

Default Army's upcoming .300 WinMag sniper rifle

This might be old news to some of you folks that follow such things, but this stick sounds pretty interesting:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...-rifle?src=rss

I hope the suppressor doesn't affect accuracy..

Name
    Dennis Monk
    Martial Art
    BJJ.....again

The .300 Win Mag is a sweet round. I didn't know that the military was looking at going to this as a precision round. I know of many people that have taken some big game from long range with that cartidge.
    Dennis Monk
    Blue Knights TX XIX
    Freedom is one of the deepest and noblest aspirations of the human spirit.
    Ronald Reagan

There is a reason that conservatives are known as "The Right".

You know you've reached rock bottom when you're told you have character flaws by a man who hanged his predecessor in a military coup. Charlie Wilson (RIP)

Name
    Chris Moore
    Martial Art
    I'm a fan of all of them!!!

The ability to switch to the .300 WM has been an underlying factor in the M24 SWS since the beginning. That is why they used a Long Action to build the rifle around. They are going to be retrofitting a lot of the current M24 SWS rifles to .300 WM along with implementing the new platform. The .300 WM is a phenomenal long range cartridge. It should do well for them.

Regarding the suppressor: Anything that changes barrel weight or harmonics is going to affect accuracy. The degree to which it affects accuracy shouldn't be too great. A well trained Sniper or DM should have enough dope on his rifle that it shouldn't pose any great challenge. Plus, the suppressor will probably not be deployed in an emergency defensive fire fight but rather will be used on an offensive precision basis.
    Last edited by nismophreek; 05-02-2010 at 07:34.
    Never fight to achieve selfish ends, but to develop Might for Right!

Name
    Tony "Iron Hands" Urena
    Martial Art
    Okinawan Karate & Kobudo
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nismophreek View Post
    Regarding the suppressor: Anything that changes barrel weight or harmonics is going to affect accuracy. The degree to which it affects accuracy shouldn't be too great. A well trained Sniper or DM should have enough dope on his rifle that it shouldn't pose any great challenge. Plus, the suppressor will probably not be deployed in an emergency defensive fire fight but rather will be used on an offensive precision basis.
    But, if you build the rifle and load the cartridge around the suppressor the accuracy difference would be negligible.
    Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.

Name
    David Craik
    Martial Art
    Sweatin' to the Oldies
    Blog Entries

I was thinking of gas port erosion/fouling with regard to the suppressor, which would cause variance. Even a tiny change in how gases are handled can cause a lot of problems 1000 yards or more down range. Few military sniper missions call for one to pop one guy and then haul ass. You hold down a small unit whacking - preferably - their officers and radio operators. So it would be interesting to see it's design or replacement schedule.

Suppressors have long been eschewed by Marine snipers for anything but relatively close range work, but my knowledge of them is probably far out of date. The last suppressed weapon I fired had wipes!

That .300 WinMag is going to pack a respectable punch though!
    Last edited by David Craik; 05-02-2010 at 09:01.

Name
    Tony "Iron Hands" Urena
    Martial Art
    Okinawan Karate & Kobudo
    Blog Entries

Good point David and that may well be the case. That round is going to have one hell of a sound signature. Out beyond 1,000 meters it may not matter so much but closer than that it is where it's going to count.
    Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.

Name
    David Craik
    Martial Art
    Sweatin' to the Oldies
    Blog Entries

Quite right, a glance at my charts shows a .300 WinMag is spat out the business end at around 3000 fps. This generally equals loud as hell.

I can see the wisdom of trying to suppress this. Everything's a trade-off. I'm sure the dudes working on this know what they're doing, way better than I do. Bet it's going to be a kick-ass stick.
    Last edited by David Craik; 05-02-2010 at 13:08.

Name
    Jeff Jaje
    Martial Art
    Kenpo, Tang Soo Do
    Blog Entries

So, just a curious outsider, why the 300 Win Mag over the 30-06? It is a more powerful, but isn't the latter already a military cartridge?

Also, I do know many handloaders prefer non belted cases. If you don't load your own I suppose it doesn't matter.
    The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly. - Theodore Roosevelt

Name
    David Craik
    Martial Art
    Sweatin' to the Oldies
    Blog Entries

Dunno, maybe having 'magnum' at the end sounds cooler.

I'm a big fan of the '06 too.

Name
    Tony "Iron Hands" Urena
    Martial Art
    Okinawan Karate & Kobudo
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jjaje View Post
    So, just a curious outsider, why the 300 Win Mag over the 30-06? It is a more powerful, but isn't the latter already a military cartridge?

Also, I do know many handloaders prefer non belted cases. If you don't load your own I suppose it doesn't matter.
    Good question. I love the '06. I have a Springfield '03 that I'd be happy to field if the revolution comes and they take my sniper rifle away.

Name
    David Craik
    Martial Art
    Sweatin' to the Oldies
    Blog Entries

I love the way you think Tony.

Name
    Chris Moore
    Martial Art
    I'm a fan of all of them!!!

The .300 WM has a higher velocity, thus leading to better long range capabilities and better terminal ballistics. I'm not sure what the plan will be for cartridge manufacturing though. I don't know if they will use a factory load like the M118 or if they will hand load for it like the M118LR.
    Never fight to achieve selfish ends, but to develop Might for Right!