Name
    Ridge Stones

Default The kicks are the same in each basic style, but what about how often they are used.

A side kick is a side kick a front kick is a front kick. I am just wondering if kungfu has less kicks than Taekwodo, but more than karate.
    Maybe stupid question, but what do you think. In terms of percentage of total techniques used in any give fight or match.

cantankerous curmudgeon sean_stonehart's Avatar
    Name
    Sean Stonehart
    Martial Art
    Maht Jhong Lama Pai
    Blog Entries

It depends. Simplest answer. It depends.

Be a bit more specific & answers can be more specific.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Name
    Jonathan Randall Grimm

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
    A side kick is a side kick a front kick is a front kick. I am just wondering if kungfu has less kicks than Taekwodo, but more than karate.
    Maybe stupid question, but what do you think. In terms of percentage of total techniques used in any give fight or match.
    The term kung fu, encompasses many different systems and you can't make generalizations as regard to kicking emphasis. For example, northern kung fu styles often have more kicking than southern ones - but not always. You will likely see more kicking at a TKD dojang than at a karate dojo - but not always. One TKD class I attended years ago had less kicking than the karate (shotokan, in this case) dojo, that met at the same school gym, did.

As the mod. said above, you need to be more specific, sorry.

Name
    Sean Stonehart
    Martial Art
    Maht Jhong Lama Pai
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Randall View Post
    As the mod. said above, you need to be more specific, sorry.
    Oh it wasn't for any funky reason Jonathan.

I teach & practice CMAs. I can't really answer his question without a little more direct info & where he's wanting to go. I can say yes or no to his question & be perfectly correct in the answer, depending on... what's being asked.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Name
    Robert Raines
    Martial Art
    Silat/Kuntau

A side kick is a side kick a front kick is a front kick.
    Between the Korean Martial Arts and Chinese Martial Arts I have taken there have been differences in technique between each style's front kicks and side kicks.

I am just wondering if kungfu has less kicks than Taekwodo, but more than karate.
    It depends on the style of Kung Fu and which TKD organization you are talking about. I know some guys who claim to be from Chung Do Kwan TKD that seem far more reserved with their kicks than WTF TKD. There are over 900 or so Kung Fu styles last I read, some use kicks extensively and others almost not at all.

~Rob
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. - Albert Einstein

Name
    Jonathan Randall Grimm

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    Oh it wasn't for any funky reason Jonathan.

I teach & practice CMAs. I can't really answer his question without a little more direct info & where he's wanting to go. I can say yes or no to his question & be perfectly correct in the answer, depending on... what's being asked.
    Oh, no, I meant the Original Poster needed to be more specific, like you asked him to be. Sorry for the misunderstanding. He seems to have left the room, though...

Name
    Sean Stonehart
    Martial Art
    Maht Jhong Lama Pai
    Blog Entries

Gotcha...

And yep... Drive by poster

Sent from my Thunderbolt on Tapatalk. Excuse the auto-correct spelling errors.

Name
    Erik Michaels
    Martial Art
    The older I get, the tougher I was.

Quote Originally Posted by rainesr View Post
    Between the Korean Martial Arts and Chinese Martial Arts I have taken there have been differences in technique between each style's front kicks and side kicks.
    For example, some kick with the ball of the toe ("Japanese style"), some kick with the base of the shin ("Thai style", so to speak). Same roundhouse kick, otherwise.
    I realize you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I am not so sure about is whether what you think you heard is what I think I meant.

Name
    Jonathan Randall Grimm

It depends on the style of Kung Fu and which TKD organization you are talking about. I know some guys who claim to be from Chung Do Kwan TKD that seem far more reserved with their kicks than WTF TKD. There are over 900 or so Kung Fu styles last I read, some use kicks extensively and others almost not at all.

~Rob
    Yep. Kinda like asking which is faster, a Chevrolet or Ford - without specifying [I]which[I] model. Perhaps the OP will re-appear and clarify his question.

BTW, as others have noted, a TKD side kick is NOT generally the same as a CMA sidekick. Same with front kick.

Name
    Tony "Iron Hands" Urena
    Martial Art
    Okinawan Karate & Kobudo
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    For example, some kick with the ball of the toe ("Japanese style"), some kick with the base of the shin ("Thai style", so to speak). Same roundhouse kick, otherwise.
    That statement is incomplete. You can have one style do both kicks dependent on their target area. They are not different kicks, but different striking areas. As an Okinawan stylist we do toe kicks and shin kicks. My striking area, among other things, may dictate what part of the leg I'm going to hit. For example, I may want to break the opponents base by shin kicking him in the legs of I may see and exploit an opening somewhere else where I may use a toe kick.
    "Once a kata has been learned, it must be practiced repeatedly until it can be applied in an emergency, for knowledge of just the sequence of a form in Karate is useless.” –Gichin Funakoshi

"The teacher is more important than the style."
    - Higa Yuchoku

Name
    Mark Reed
    Martial Art
    Ng family style kung fu

~Rob
    Yes, I too have noticed differences in the way front kicks are done within different styles. For example in Japanese style martial arts I have noticed that when doing a front kick the hips are more square to the person that is being kicked where as in Chinese styles the hips are not as square to the opponent, they are more turned to the side with one hip more forward than the other.