Name
    Lou Storiale
    Martial Art
    Shorin Ryu | Tae Kwon Do | Boxing | Kickboxing

Default Teaching Self Defense and Boxing to Two Women

I've been teaching basic self defense and boxing to a couple of new students this month. They've been harassed by a group of girls that have assaulted them and are basically causing them to fear for their lives. One was cut with a key across the face while on the dance floor of a club, the other was pulled by the hair and given a decent beating.

Chicago police are notoriously lazy and wouldn't even let them file a report. (I've witnessed a few incidences with the Chicago police and they are lazy, so please limit your comments on that point).

We've covered the basics and I've been practicing the techniques over the past week or so.

I'm interested in hearing the types of scenarios and grabs that anyone here teaches.

My goal is to keep it simple, straight-line self defense (fingers in the eyes, throat, groin-strikes - yes even on girls, getting out of simple holds, etc.)

Any additional advice or scenarios I can relate would be great.

Thanks!
    Amateur Boxing Trainer at the Chicago Boxing Gym in Chicago, Tae Kwon Do Brown Belt | 3 years of Shorin Ryu Karate | Amateur State Kickboxing Champion

Name
    Jonathan Randall Grimm

I know this may not be possible for them, but I believe the only good option available for them is avoidance. Even if they win a "fight" they just face retaliation - perhaps armed retaliation. In any case, can they get an incident on video? Many things are ignored by the authorities in certain areas - until the fear of their ending up on Youtube motivates them.

Also, I would emphasize grappling techniques - ones that don't necessarily look to the layperson like that "martial arts stuff". Less of a challenge laid down this way.

Name
    Douglas Martin
    Martial Art
    TaeKwonDo & SimMuDo

Sweeps or throws have always been my favorite for redneck repellent at work. That is a lot easier opponent than what you might be facing over in Chicago. Once, I had my hands up, palms open, and the larger dude grabbed my wrists. He was purely gratifying his ego. He was too strong for me to do a basic twist out type break - away, so I pushed in. This made it a shoving match for a second, and when he pushed back, I jerked him suddenly in the direction he was pushing, thus jerking him off balance. Dragged him all the way across the room, out from behind some file cabinets and out in front of a window, and the crabby old lady who had a cubicle on the other side of the window made sure he got in some hot water over the incident. So, that was just basic "principle of non-resistance" or "follow your opponents power direction"; if he pushes you, pull in the same direction, and if he pulls then push. I also used an "inside shoulder lock" or a "key lock" on another guy once.

Name
    Mark Chow-Young
    Blog Entries

Been a while since I practiced it but for hair pull defense , IIRC, grab the hand in the hair, a quick kick to the shin to throw your assailant off guard and then a standard wrist lock to get a release. A thumb break would also probably work well.

After that it was the usual jiu-jitsu ground and pound. I wouldn't recommend ground techiques in this case though, sounds like your students are being attacked by a group.

Fingers in the eyes sounds like it would get a quick release though.
    Talking like a tough guy isn't working, that's why you need a gun

Name
    Dennis P. McGeehan
    Martial Art
    Judo
    Blog Entries

These are serious recommendations:
    1) Stay away from trouble spots
    2) Travel in groups whenever possible
    3) Purchase and learn to use pepper spray/taser
    4) Basic self defense skills for escape. Use keys, combs, etc as an improvised weapon

Beyond that, in a short period of time no one can learn enough MA to repel a determined group of attackers. Unless they are able to obtain a conceal carry permit. I strongly state that their lives will be much simpler and in the end happier if they emphasize #1 above and continue to work on the rest.

With Respect

Dennis
    Only a Cowardly Loser hurts an innocent, defenseless person.

Dennis P. McGeehan

Name
    William Bohan
    Martial Art
    Danzan Ryu Jujitsu

I'll second what Dennis said, especially his first point. The only bit I would add, is that if you are at a spot, and the known trouble makers arrive... it may be time to make a quiet exit to a new spot, before any altercation.

One thing I always try to stay aware of when teaching self defense, is that the students will believe in the technique you teach. Even if they don't yet have the skill to pull it off. This makes things more dangerous for the student. As soon as they try to use the cool move they learned, they escalate the situation. If they are not able to fully execute, they have now escalated the situation, and have not accomplished much.

Awareness first. Walk away or run away before anything happens. Any techniques taught, must be so simple, that they can be mastered very quickly. (read: instantly)
    William Bohan
    Danzan Ryu Jujitsu
    Florida Danzan Ryu

Name
    Lou Storiale
    Martial Art
    Shorin Ryu | Tae Kwon Do | Boxing | Kickboxing

Great points. I definitely sat them both down and had a "hello! stop going to the same places they go to" conversation with them. I reiterate every class that they should be avoiding any circumstance in which their health or well being can be put at risk.

I shared with them a few stories of leaving places that I thought trouble was headed. The best defense is not being there when trouble happens.
    Amateur Boxing Trainer at the Chicago Boxing Gym in Chicago, Tae Kwon Do Brown Belt | 3 years of Shorin Ryu Karate | Amateur State Kickboxing Champion