Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    MartialWarrior

Default Where did martial arts originated from?

Where did the Asian martial arts originated from?
    Where did the Non-Asian martial arts originated from?
    Did the martial artial arts start from China and spreaded through Asia?
    Is kungfu the father of all martial arts? OR
    Is pankration the father of all martial arts?
    Is it true that the Martial arts first originated in ancient Greece (pankration), and then spreaded to India > China > Okinawa > Korea > Japan > Indonesia etc.. ?
    What do the historians say about ? Any proofs ?

Any convinced answers would be appricieted!

Thanks..

Name
    Daniel Sheets
    Martial Art
    SongMooKwan Taekwondo

Like the pyramids, martial arts were brought to us from extraterrestrial visitors from a planet orbiting around the star Sirius.

Just kidding! A little humor!
    Daniel Sheets

"By the time our sun turns into a red giant, humanity either will have long perished into nuclear dust or, hopefully, will have found its rightful place amongst the stars."

"... The universe will darken as the stars, one by one, cease to twinkle."

- Michio Kaku

Account Suspended: Noncompliance with full real name rule SRK85's Avatar
    Name
    none
    Martial Art
    TKD and Haidong Gumdo

I learned that the Indian Monks came threw Asia and taught self defense and meditation to the Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans. During this time the Mongolian Pirates were terroising Japan and Korea. So i guess the Indian Monks wanted to help the Japense and Koreans. I seriously doubt this accurate but that's what I was told.

Name
    Joe Robbins

Martial Arts came from people fighting.

The guys who were good at killing taught other people how to be good at killing, and then some genius thought it might be a good idea to open a school and teach ALOT of people how to be good at killing.

or maybe its...

The guys who didnt die taught other people how to not die, and then some genius thought it might be a good idea to open a school and teach ALOT of people how to not die.

Either way - somebody knew something someone esle didnt, and he taught it to someone, who taught it to someone and so on... and somewhere down the line somebody had figured out enough ways to kill/not die and had taught enough people how to do it that it became a "standard" way of doing things.

It happend around the world as needed.

Name
    Jay Bell
    Martial Art
    Slacking

Thumbs up

Excellent post, J

Signum Pacis Amor
    Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem

Member, Inter-Galactic Martial Arts Hall of Fame and Sokeship Council

Name
    Joe Robbins

Well thank ya kindly

Banned - Membership Revoked Hardcore Fighter's Avatar
    Martial Art
    Tae Kwon Do

haha that was great Sgathak!

What the heck is pankration?

I heard indians came to china to teach meditation and religious type stuff and then chinese used the exsersizes for keeping the body healthy and then they develeoped martial arts out of them. and then all the other asian countries used these techniques and made their own martial arts and so on.

But basically martial arts all came from everywhere because people have been fighting since Cain killed Abel. So technically martial arts came from somewhere near the middle east or wherever people were when God kicked them out of the Garden Of Eden.

Name
    Joe Robbins

What the heck is pankration
    It is/was a greek system, the word means "all powers" as it made use of all natural weapons - hands, feet, hips, teeth, whatever. It was used in the Greek Olympic Games and people regularly died. You can actually read an account of its use in Homers The Oddessy - Odysseus uses it in a hand to hand bout while trying to reclaim his wife Penelope - its at the end of the story, but you should read the whole thing.

Modern Day Pankration is NOT a direct decendent of old Greek Pankration, but it does share a common philosophy and alot of its grappling skills are derived from Greco-Roman wrestling, which is arguably the closest thing to original pankration still around.

Name
    Jabonn Flurry
    Martial Art
    Uechi-ryu Kenyukai & Judo

All civilizations had some form of rudementary form of fighting. Some of those civilizations made greater advancements by forming better techinques and then creating systems or unique styles.
    Jabonn Flurry

Where was your flag on September 10, 2001?

Martial Art
    Tae Kwon Do

Panktration sounded like some kind of perverted thing hahaha.

Anyway that is cool. Why is there no real pankration left? How can it just dissapear?

Also when did people start naming fighting as an art with special names?

It seems that all anyone really has to say is "I know how to fight." instead of saying "I know jeet kun do."

Name
    Joe Robbins

Originally posted by Hardcore Fighter
    . Anyway that is cool. Why is there no real pankration left? How can it just dissapear?
    Because like its development, it was rooted in its cultural context. With the fall of Classical Greece, the end of the Olympics, the rise of the Roman empire, and 3000 years of times-a-changin' it slowly faded away... How many Korean, Japanese, Chinese, and other martial arts are dying a cultural death because they no longer meet the needs of the people? Of those arts that are still around, how many do you think will truely stand the test of time (even 1000 years let alone 3000) as an unchanged system and how many will become so altered that they will no longer be recognizable?

Also when did people start naming fighting as an art with special names?

It seems that all anyone really has to say is "I know how to fight." instead of saying "I know jeet kun do."]
    What high school do you go to? Why not just call them all "high school"? Why is your name Andrew? Why not just call you "human"?

It might have something to do with being able to tell something apart from something else with any sort of ease...

Martial Art
    Tae Kwon Do

Well that makes sense. But at what point did they start naming styles?

Do you know if Rome had any martial arts?

Name
    Bill De Franza
    Martial Art
    Several flavors of karate, currently Hibernating.

They all came from Barry.
    Sgagthak, you really dropped the ball on this one! Jeez!
    Bill De Franza

Name
    Joe Robbins

Well that makes sense. But at what point did they start naming styles?
    Id guess it probably started when some it became obvious that there were more than 2 or 3 people teaching different ways of fighting. I dont have any hard dates for you.

Do you know if Rome had any martial arts?
    Rome the city or Rome the Empire?

The city was a hodge podge of people from around the Empire - some from Egypt, some from Spain, some from England (Britannea)... The Roman Armies utilized numerous weapons and had "weapon masters" to train the soldiers standardized ways how to use the Gladius, the Pila, the Hasta, etc. Each soldier came from their own regions with their own martial culture as well.

Each region of the Empire had its own fighting styles...

And The Gladiators were all VERY well trained fighters. Contrary to popular opinion, they were not simply tossed into the Colloseum to fight to the death, they were well trained (as while they were slaves, they were an expensive investment, and the longer they lived, the more money they brought in for their fights - some having over 300 victories). If you look at historical renditions of Gladiators, they were always dressed and armed differently and never fought someone with the same weapon or armour - this was for a very interesting reason. Each gladiator was trained in a specific art taken from each of the Empires conquored regions... One man would be taught to use the Trident and Net (Aegean fisherman) while another would be given a Gaulish Sword and Armor (or any other combination of styles) and when they fought it was a symbolic statment that the Citizens of Rome were better than these "fighting barbarians".

Yes, Rome *HAD* martial arts.

Name
    Joe Robbins

Originally posted by De_Franza
    They all came from Barry.
    Sgagthak, you really dropped the ball on this one! Jeez!
    Well, Barry, being you know, a mammal, and fighting ALL The time, IS the supreme high god of all things cool, and by cool I mean totally sweet! and if you dont beleive that better you get a life right now or he will chop your head off!!!!!! He was of course the guy who introduced the concept of being fast, smooth, cool, strong, powerful, and sweet - but I dont think he had anything to do with David Carradines verison of Tai Chi, and so I cant truely get behind the idea the Barry invented ALL martial arts - most, sure - but all? Tae Bo speaks for iself! Would BARRY hang out with Billy Blanks? No! Barry would go crazy, flip out, start doing crazy sweet ninja moves and drop kick Billy Blanks in the nads before he chopped his head off!

**we now return to your regularly scheduled program**

Name
    Jabonn Flurry
    Martial Art

Can I order a 'Barry' T-shirt?
    Jabonn Flurry

Name
    Joe Robbins

No, but you can ask nicely for Barry to take your money and IF he doesnt kill you he MIGHT send you a nice pink Baby-Doll TShirt (size small).

Name
    Jeff Burger
    Martial Art
    Multiple disciplines

LMAO

Barry can come and train with you.

We plan on sending him around the world.

Jeff

Name
    Andrew L. Hutton
    Martial Art
    Formless form

I imagine MA started like sgathak said about people teaching other people to survive, than it gradually became more combat specific. Stuff like actual MA schools probably began when various people and military forces constructed their own style, and it was becoming difficult to keep track of what was going on. Im sure war was a major influence on the existence of MA schools. Im sure miscellaneous people would make their own styles as well. Bunk ones would be disregarded and forgotten, while the more effective ones may have been adopted by the army. Anything from an army thinking "We need to find a way to fight with some knowledge of what we're doing to be effective" to some Joe Schmoe watching a fight and thinking "He could have done this or this, quick do this. Wait a minute Ill just figure out a good way to fight, and maybe Ill teach it to others". As badly written as that was, Im sure you get my point.

Also, the concept of kung fu was originally impoted to China by Boddidharma. The same guy who brought zen to east asia. He thought one needed a strong body to balance with a strong mind (assuming it was excercised by zen). He also called meditation kung something else... Ive forgotten the word and I cant find it in my book, but these were the two sides of zen. Kung fu for stong body, kung whatever for stong mind. Monks and other people simply started turning kung fu into an actual MA, rather than lesser organized kung fu of Boddidharma. Bah, I wish I could remember the whole Boddidharma thing better, its crazy stuff. But MA was started by all kinds of people, all over the place, at different times for different reasons, so its hard to hit the nail on the head.

As far as I know North American MA never really existed until sometime in the last 150 years. Brought here by people like Bruce Lee and others. The '70s was the big MA binge of the century because it was when MA's started being brought over. Misc. indian tribes had their own ways of fighting, like Apache wolverine fighting, but thats about it. Uh, yeah...
    - 暗土龍

"Willing is not enough, we must do. Knowing is not enough, we must
    apply." -- Bruce Lee

Name
    Jabonn Flurry
    Martial Art

Barry does have T-shirts. I like the one that states: "Ninjas are sooooo sweet I want to crap my pants". It has a nice ring to it.

Barry's Private Stock
    Jabonn Flurry

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast