Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Name
    Tony "Iron Hands" Urena
    Martial Art
    Okinawan Karate & Kobudo
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Note pt2: Tim Larkin is on the cover of Black Belt magazine for the SECOND time! Instead engaging me on specifics, read the article....
    Right, like BBM is the epitome of quality martial arts periodical just like the National Enquirer is to news.
    Last edited by TonyU; 12-30-2011 at 21:22.
    Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.

Name
    Don Roley
    Martial Art
    Sentoujutsu
    Blog Entries

Is it fair to say, you or one of your trainees can walk the earth without fear?
    Was that meant to be serious?

I can't really remember if that was part of the SCARS marketing program, but I know I have seen a few things that say that if you take their magic bullet you can walk without fear.

Of course, only idiots would think they would never feel fear. If they are walking through some neighborhoods I have lived in without being wary/nervous then they just do not know what is going on and/or think they are superman. In short, egotistical idiots.
    Guns don't kill people. Ninjas kill people.

Super Moderator Tripitaka of AA's Avatar
    Name
    David Noble
    Martial Art
    Shorinji Kempo

"We don't want the man with scars, we want the man who gave him those scars"
    "The Magnificent Seven" MGM 1960. I'm a bit rusty on the exact wording, but it's close enough.

Actually, I have absolutely no idea what you are all talking about. I am just in a festive mood and couldn't resist the flippant jibe. No offence intended.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988) Retired

The lone Kenshi beats the giant drum, increasing in tempo as he builds to a crescendo - "Yaaaaah!" - Bang!...
    Rei, naore. Time to begin.

Name
    Jonathan Randall Grimm

Nicely done Mr. Roley--you make it sound like Kelly McCann has a better way! More power to him! Is it fair to say, you or one of your trainees can walk the earth without fear?
    Do you write ad copy for TRS Direct?

Don's advice was very good. If I only had a year to train prior to entering a dangerous environment, I'd get my hands on anything and everything ever written by Rory Miller. Marc MacYoung also does an excellent job of dispelling the myths and bologna propagated by many "Self-Defence" and martial arts instructors, and his video on the reality of the knife is quite literally, imho, worth its weight in gold and an excellent splash of cold water on wannabe knife brandishers and/or empty hand stylists who don't have adequate respect for the weapon.

The above would be my first priority, my second, and much further down the list, would be to attend training sessions or workshops with somebody like Kelly McCann and probably enroll in a competent western boxing gym course (or muay thai) and legitimate BJJ or other grappling school. Two nights a week of each for a year would put someone who maintains good situational awareness, and follows the advice of those such as Rory Miller, in good stead. Let's face it, though, assault prevention is where the smart money goes in terms of self-defence. Against true, vicious and likely armed, street violence, unarmed techniques have serious limitations. "Best block, not be there," as Mr. Miyagi said.

Oh, and learn the warning signs of the sociopath.

Name
    Don Roley
    Martial Art
    Sentoujutsu
    Blog Entries

Is it fair to say, you or one of your trainees can walk the earth without fear?
    By strange coincidence, seven hours ago a friend of mine named Clint posted the following on facebook.

Really am sick and tired of all the ultimate MMA Super secret kungfuninja RBSD CQC crap that is out there being sold as a 100% effective everytime. There is no such thing. What there is , is a random and totally uncontrolled set of events that can change the outcome of a confrontation. Hard work , training and correct repititon of a set skill set can save you. You dont know whats going to happen from one second to the next. Be flexable, be aware, and be willing to adapt to things going south in a split second.
    Just so you know, Clint is a guy that looks like the Hulk's bigger brother and has done more harm to other people than anything Tim Larkin or anyone else in SCARs has done.

Only the ignorant think you can control everything, and frauds cater to those kind of fools. There is always the chance things can go bad, so there is always reason for fear. The only folks that do not feel fear are the ignorant or the dead.

Name
    Don Roley
    Martial Art
    Sentoujutsu
    Blog Entries

Oh, and just to clarify, I posted the following on facebook after my friend Clint agreed to let me.

Posted as I said. Clint, would you be willing to have one of these martial arts masters who claim to be able to teach people to never feel fear fly you out at their expense and then try to do their magic on you in front of a camera? Oh, and I will fly out to witness it myself if you say yes.
    Clint's response was,

Oh Gods of the North Yes Don please pretty please with sugar subsititute on it.
    So all you, James Lincoln, have to do is try to get your teacher in SCARS to agree. I really would bet a lot of money on Clint. I have met him, and I have seen the SCARS stuff. Clint is a force of nature and if you don't fear him you are a posturing fool IMO. So now is the chance to prove me wrong and SCARS all it claims to be.

All you need to do is pass along the invitation to your teachers in SCARS.

James Lincoln, if you make excuses, or it never ends up happening, then of course it will be seen as mere marketing and a refusal based on the knowledge by the creator of SCARS that his ass can't cash the checks folks like you make with your mouth.

I expect silence, or excuses. This will just confirm what I think about SCARS and the fools who try to market it.

The ball is in your court James Lincoln.

Name
    James Lincoln

Yaarrggh.....your are correct Sir...I simply wanted to agitate the community....I'm a sorry ****-tard who only wanted to have fun...didnt realize I uncovered "daddy didnt love me enough"--types_....

Name
    Don Roley
    Martial Art
    Sentoujutsu
    Blog Entries

I'm a sorry ****-tard who only wanted to have fun...didnt realize I uncovered "daddy didnt love me enough"--types_....
    You know, if I had to face Clint I might be making much the same noises as you are in an attempt to cut my loses. Clint's offer still stands as of a few minutes ago. If your teacher really wants to claim that he can teach folks to 'fear no man' then he should prove it by having Clint out to face him.

Administrator and Benevolent Dictator Webmaster's Avatar
    Name
    Robert Carver
    Martial Art
    Jujutsu, Judo, Shorinryu Karatedo
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
    James, could you explain why you would recommend SCARS and tell us a little bit about your background please? It would help if we knew a little bit about the perspective you have regarding your recommendation.
    I wish he would just answer my questions. Didn't ask as a challenge, but genuinely asking why he would make such a recommendation and his background. He may have something that we may learn from, or not... but that's the point of discussion.
    Robert M. Carver
    Administrator, Benevolent Dictator & Bodhisattva
    BudoSeek! Martial Arts Community

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

“In a time of universal deceit – telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject."

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." Gerald Ford in a Presidential address to a joint session of Congress (12 August 1974)

Name
    Torbjorn Karlsen
    Martial Art
    Taekwondo, hapkido, plus I wave a sword around sometimes

Don't fear the man with a thousand techniques. Fear the man with a plane ticket.

Name
    Charles James
    Martial Art
    Isshinryu

I would say you should get in contact with Rory Miller to get to any or all of his classes, seminars, etc. He is an expert in violence and has gone to Irag to give training sessions to the military, etc.

I suspect you know of him anyway but I can tell you that he can either get your going or recommend you to someone who can. Matter of fact I would say your going to your bosses and recommending Mr. Miller come to your company and prepare those moving to this dangerous environment to conduct training for your entire group.

You can find his site at chiron blog if your interested. Beleive me this is not an ad or anyting other than a recommendation to get the proper training for this kind of thing. I don't get reimbursed or receive any renumerations to recommend Mr. Miller.

Regards,

Charles J.
    Charles E. James
    Isshinryu Martial Philosopher

Name
    Barry A. McConnell
    Martial Art
    Arnis, Hapkido (retired)
    Blog Entries

Hey Rory,

If you're busy, I'm working in DC right now and would be happy to drop by with a few sharp things (you know how I love sharp things) and demonstrate for them...
    Barry McConnell

We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts - not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." - George Orwell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12