Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Name
    Erik Michaels
    Martial Art
    The older I get, the tougher I was.

Default Black Belt = Register w/Police

I have heard that (at least in California) one must register with the police if s/he has a black belt, regardless of what style.

Does anyone know about this?
    I realize you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I am not so sure about is whether what you think you heard is what I think I meant.

Name
    Joe Robbins

urban legend

Account Suspended: Noncompliance with full real name rule
    Name
    I Quit

I wanted to ask about this, but was too embarassed.

Name
    Justin Stidham
    Martial Art
    Hapkido

It would be a good thing to try on April 1st. Just waltz into the office of your local law enforcement agency and demand that they register you as the lethal weapon you have trained to be. Remember, you must also dress the part and threaten to break anything wooden within reach if they refuse.
    Justin Stidham

Name
    Skye Clements-Grimshaw
    Martial Art
    MuayThai

I think people should have to have their black belts registered, and keep them in a locked cabinet. This would allow the police to track the illicit use of black belts more effectively, and prevent the black belt from getting around the wrong waist. The only concern would be whether this would spur the development of undergound trading of black belts, as we can hardly expect criminals to abide by the law and register their black belts.
    Skye Clements-Grimshaw

Name
    Jay Kingsun
    Martial Art
    Tong long,tai chi

Locked cabinet! Good idea we dont want our children to have acces to these things. Or do we?(Jnr black belt program)
    "When you live in the dark the world is threatening"
    Jay Kingsun
    Australia

Name
    Lisa Deneka
    Martial Art
    Mixed Martial Arts

Quote Originally Posted by Skye
    I think people should have to have their black belts registered, and keep them in a locked cabinet. This would allow the police to track the illicit use of black belts more effectively, and prevent the black belt from getting around the wrong waist. The only concern would be whether this would spur the development of undergound trading of black belts, as we can hardly expect criminals to abide by the law and register their black belts.

For a minute there I thought you were Canadian!

Our government would estimate the cost of this at approximately $250K but in reality costs would escalate to probably around 2 billion. The registry list would also be hacked numerous times by criminals and used as an online shopping guide
    Lisa Deneka

Name
    Paul Bladen
    Martial Art
    Hapkido,Aikido,KSA

Yeah, urban legend...started from the Occupation force left in Japan afterWWII, personell that studied judo, karate,..etc were expected to tell the Military Police who they trained with , what art, etc..that leads to the popular version we have today, of regular civilians being required to "register" with local police. Sources, "The Ultimate Martial Arts Q&A Book, by John Corcoran and John Graden". Just another one of those silly little useless facts tumbling around in my head....

Best Regards,

Paul Bladen

ps-Yes, I know that most martial arts were prohibited, I think there where a few instances for exception, though. I know that training in Aikido was permitted, but not many schools were allowed to continue training.
    Last edited by Paul B; 06-18-2004 at 23:27. Reason: typo

Yeah, registering yourself is an urban myth-- but don't assume that a black belt will be treated the same in court as anyone else. If you have to defend yourself, you will be asked more questions about rather or not you used the appropriate level of force. Your instructor may be called to testify if you used appropriate techniques for the situation. So, it *is* going to go somewhat harder for you in court, if you have to defend yourself and things get that far.
    Tony Young
    -----------
    "First they came for the Communists, and I didnít speak up, because I wasnít a Communist.
    Then they came for the Jews, and I didnít speak up, because I wasnít a Jew.
    Then they came for the Catholics, and I didnít speak up, because I was a Protestant.
    Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me."

by Rev. Martin Niemoller, 1945

Name
    Jeff Burger
    Martial Art
    Multiple disciplines

"I think people should have to have their black belts registered, and keep them in a locked cabinet. This would allow the police to track the illicit use of black belts more effectively, and prevent the black belt from getting around the wrong waist. The only concern would be whether this would spur the development of undergound trading of black belts, as we can hardly expect criminals to abide by the law and register their black belts."

LMAO

You can go with all slogans too....

If you outlaw black belts only outlaws will have them.

NRA National Rank Assoc.

Blacks belts dont kill people, people kill people.

I have heard this urban legend soooo many times.
    It bugs me when some moron keeps telling me they know its true cause his brother or father had to register their hands.

But I can some Mc Dojo turning that into a money scam. After they have over charged you for everything they could charging you to register your hands with them. Sure you dont have to legally but Style X is so dangerous we want to keep our own records. Once they figure out how lethal Style X is they will want to know who is skilled in it.

Jeff

Account Suspended: Noncompliance with full real name rule SteyrAUG's Avatar
    Name
    Patrick Thomas
    Martial Art
    Kobujutsu, Seven Star Mantis

IIRC, it comes from two sources.

One, there was a time when a certain level of boxer actually had to register, I'm not sure if the practice still exists.

Two, there were cases of martial arts trained Marines in Okinawa being forced to register with police there. But it was more of a case of recording known troublemakers than registering expert martial artists.

I'm sure those Marines returned to regale people with tales of being registered by the police because they were so deadly and a legend is born.

Name
    Patrick Thomas
    Martial Art

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Yeah, urban legend...started from the Occupation force left in Japan afterWWII, personell that studied judo, karate,..etc were expected to tell the Military Police who they trained with , what art, etc..that leads to the popular version we have today, of regular civilians being required to "register" with local police. Sources, "The Ultimate Martial Arts Q&A Book, by John Corcoran and John Graden". Just another one of those silly little useless facts tumbling around in my head....

Best Regards,

Paul Bladen

ps-Yes, I know that most martial arts were prohibited, I think there where a few instances for exception, though. I know that training in Aikido was permitted, but not many schools were allowed to continue training.

Karate styles were exempted from the MacAurthur Ban because they were viewed as a form of "boxing." It was styles such as Kendo and Kyudo that were banned because of their strong martial attitudes.

Name
    Paul Bladen
    Martial Art
    Hapkido,Aikido,KSA

thumbs up

Thank you for the clarification. I've often wondered what arts were banned and why. If you could,do you know of any books,etc..dealing with the subject?Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Paul Bladen

Name
    Cliff Hargrave
    Martial Art
    Gracie Jiu-Jitsu
    Blog Entries

The only thing we register are sex offenders.
    Jiu-Jitsu - like chess, except you get to choke people.

Name
    Dennis P. McGeehan
    Martial Art
    Judo
    Blog Entries

Yeah, but people are missing a real opportunity here. I am a Master of Tak Ones Dough. I have a 23rd. degree black belt. I have won 5 death Kumite matches AND my body is registered as a Deadly Weapon in all 50 states and all US territory's. Wouldn't that bring in students for the Black Belt Course.

Peace
    Dennis
    Only a Cowardly Loser hurts an innocent, defenseless person.

Dennis P. McGeehan

Name
    Jonathan Wood
    Martial Art
    Aikido, BJJ

Quote Originally Posted by mantisman
    Locked cabinet! Good idea we dont want our children to have acces to these things. Or do we?(Jnr black belt program)
    Seriously, dude. I hope they keep their certificates in a seperate place away from the belt.

Jon

Name
    Patrick Thomas
    Martial Art

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Thank you for the clarification. I've often wondered what arts were banned and why. If you could,do you know of any books,etc..dealing with the subject?Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Paul Bladen
    I believe Donn Draeger addressed the subject in one of his books, but for the life of me can't remember which.

I think Richard Kim and Shoshin Nagamine also made referrences to Karate escaping the MacAurther ban.

Name
    Paul Bladen
    Martial Art
    Hapkido,Aikido,KSA

Talking

Thank you, sir!!

And it's off to Amazon I go.....

Best Regards,

Paul Bladen

Name
    Stan Lee
    Martial Art
    Aikido, Kashima shinryu kenjutsu, kendo, Chen taiji

I remember that in Robert Twigger's book, "Angry White Pyjamas" that all dan grades (or was it yondan) had to register with the police.

Or is that an incorrect fact in his book?
    --------------------

Stan Lee

Dojo Crash Test Dummy

Name
    Erik Michaels
    Martial Art
    The older I get, the tougher I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbax8
    Yeah, but people are missing a real opportunity here. I am a Master of Tak Ones Dough. I have a 23rd. degree black belt. I have won 5 death Kumite matches AND my body is registered as a Deadly Weapon in all 50 states and all US territories. Dennis
    Really? They made me register because of flatulence.

But seriously, in the town where I used to live all the bouncers were provided by or trained at the local fighting gym. We all did submission wrestling, muay thai, and ground and pound.

Those who set up the teams avoided using belts specifically for that reason. No belts, just wrestling shoes, gloves, shorts and a t-shirt, and that was to preserve relations with the DA and PD.

But I still haven't figured out if that was a legal measure or just a smart way to keep our heads low.

Maybe CA has different laws, too. Anyone know?
    I realize you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I am not so sure about is whether what you think you heard is what I think I meant.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast