Thread: Judo vs. BJJ

Account Closed at Members Request
    Name
    John 'Jack' Stay
    Martial Art
    Go-Ju Ryu, Aikido, Judo

Default Judo vs. BJJ

I accidently came across this website while researching former World Judo Champion and Olympic Judo Gold medalist Wilhelm Ruska, it turned out the big Dutchman also competed in a BJJ style match, read the results in:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/fight/judo/judovsbjj.html

Last edited by Jack Stay; 08-12-2004 at 20:27. Reason: boo-boo

Name
    Cliff Hargrave
    Martial Art
    Gracie Jiu-Jitsu
    Blog Entries

Man you must new to the internet. Pdeking is an old time troll from www.mma.tv who likes to stir things up. That stuff has been around for a long time.

(1) Akira Shoji knocked out Wallid Ismael

Ismeal's MMA skills are well known as terrible. I dont think he has ever won a MMA match. Shiji used the famous Judo punching combos.

(2) Igor Zinoviev (Black belt but only a local (NY and NJ) title in judo) defeated Mario Sperry (3 times world champion in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu). He knocked out Enson Inoue in 44 seconds in 1996 Vale Tudo Japan.

No one disputes these, Sperry was cut from a knee to the head (another judo technique?) and Inoue was knocked out again with the famous judo punches.

(3) Don Frye (2nd degree black belt in judo) defeated Amaury Bitetti (1995 world champion in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) by TKO in UFC8.

Frye is a wrestler and boxer that used to do judo many years before. Again the famous judo punches.

(4) Yasuichi Ono choked out Jorge Gracie (Helio Gracie's older brother) circa 1950. These are four cases in which no name judoka defeated top BJJ fighters.

This is a really unknown fight that appeared on bjj.org but no one seems to anything about it. "George" (not Jorge) died a long time ago.

(5) Masahiko Kimura (7th dan BB undefeated for 13 years in judo) defeated Helio Gracie (the self-proclaimed founder of Gracie Jiu Jitsu) by breaking two bones in the left arm of Helio, by udegarami. Helio Gracie was hospitalized for multiple fractures. In this bout, Helio was unable to score any counter or reverse. Kimura defeated Helio on the ground using a ground technique which is supposed to be BJJ's strength.

More pdeking bull. No one disputes Kimura won this but Helios arm was not broken. Carlos threw in the towel because he was afraid it would be broken and Helio was pissed about it. If you get a chance, watch the interview with Helio on the one of the Gracie tapes (I think it was advanced vol 4, I am sure you can borrow it from a fellow judo guy that is secretly watching them and pretending they knew the stuff all along) He gives a detailed account of it. It took 13 minutes for Kimura to win this match even though he greatly outweighed Helio.

(6) In 1974, Wilhelm Ruska (1972 Olympics judo gold medalist in over 95kg class and absolute division) destroyed Iwan Gomes

Another unknown match that only pedking seems to know anything about.

Only the Kimura/Helio match is any prop for judo. Everything else is a win for kickboxing.

There is not enough bandwidth to list all the BJJ wins over judo and many other martial arts. Now people are wise to the game and cross trained MMA athletes rule the day. No single art is dominate, not judo, BJJ, or whatever.

You REALLY need to find a BJJ black belt and do some submission grappling with him.
    Last edited by Cliff Hargrave; 08-13-2004 at 07:14.
    Jiu-Jitsu - like chess, except you get to choke people.

Administrator and Benevolent Dictator Webmaster's Avatar
    Name
    Robert Carver
    Martial Art
    Jujutsu, Judo, Shorinryu Karatedo
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Hargrave
    Man you must new to the internet. Pdeking is an old time troll from www.mma.tv who likes to stir things up. That stuff has been around for a long time.
    Must be, I cannot believe anyone would take anything from Pdeking seriously!
    Robert M. Carver
    Administrator, Benevolent Dictator & Bodhisattva
    BudoSeek! Martial Arts Community

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

“In a time of universal deceit – telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject."

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." Gerald Ford in a Presidential address to a joint session of Congress (12 August 1974)

Name
    Cliff Hargrave
    Martial Art
    Gracie Jiu-Jitsu
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McLean

I choose Batman cuz he isn't as blind as a Bat!

HAHAHAHHAHAAHAH!!!!!!!
    I got Adam West's autograph at a car show when I was kid. I think it's still at my parent's house somewhere. He didn't look much like a superhero then, I think I could have taken him and I was about 12.

Last edited by Cliff Hargrave; 08-13-2004 at 07:50.
    Jiu-Jitsu - like chess, except you get to choke people.

Name
    Jabonn Flurry
    Martial Art
    Uechi-ryu Kenyukai & Judo

"Man you must new to the internet. Pdeking is an old time troll from www.mma.tv who likes to stir things up. That stuff has been around for a long time." By Clif.

Yeah I just got a computer last week, my brother-in-law gave me his HP 386 to me for $150.

Haven't we beat the BJJ Vs. Judo thing to death here? I mean everyone knows Judo kicks A$$. We had the google battle and there were more Judo websites than BJJ websites - I believe that was the ultimate battle. End of story. Thread Closed.
    Jabonn Flurry

Where was your flag on September 10, 2001?

Administrator and Benevolent Dictator Webmaster's Avatar
    Name
    Robert Carver
    Martial Art
    Jujutsu, Judo, Shorinryu Karatedo
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jabonn
    Haven't we beat the BJJ Vs. Judo thing to death here? I mean everyone knows Judo kicks A$$. We had the google battle and there were more Judo websites than BJJ websites - I believe that was the ultimate battle. End of story. Thread Closed.
    Agreed! Thread closed.
    Robert M. Carver
    Administrator, Benevolent Dictator & Bodhisattva
    BudoSeek! Martial Arts Community

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

“In a time of universal deceit – telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject."

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." Gerald Ford in a Presidential address to a joint session of Congress (12 August 1974)