Name
    Blaine Benson
    Martial Art
    Shotokan

Default 24 fighting chickens

Does anyone know why the site 24 Fighting Chickens closed?

While I didn't agree with everything on the site, I did find it thought provoking.

Did anyone know why he called it 24 Fighting Chickens? Supposedly the answer was on the website but I never scrolled through all the pages to find the answer.
    Blaine Benson

Name
    Cliff Hargrave
    Martial Art
    Gracie Jiu-Jitsu
    Blog Entries

I really liked that site. It shot down alot of the karate/martial arts myths out there and did it with great humor.
    Jiu-Jitsu - like chess, except you get to choke people.

Name
    Tony "Iron Hands" Urena
    Martial Art
    Okinawan Karate & Kobudo
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Hargrave
    I really liked that site. It shot down alot of the karate/martial arts myths out there and did it with great humor.
    Like what myths? I ask because I'm not familiar with the site and haven't had a chance to visit it.
    Thanks.
    "Once a kata has been learned, it must be practiced repeatedly until it can be applied in an emergency, for knowledge of just the sequence of a form in Karate is useless.” –Gichin Funakoshi

"The teacher is more important than the style."
    - Higa Yuchoku

Name
    Cliff Hargrave
    Martial Art
    Gracie Jiu-Jitsu
    Blog Entries

Stuff like the history, origins of the dogi and belt colors, sacredness of the belt, etc.
    Jiu-Jitsu - like chess, except you get to choke people.

Name
    Blaine Benson
    Martial Art
    Shotokan

It was a fairly extensive website and the guy (I believe his last name was Redmond and he was out of GA) updated the site frequently with new articles.

I remember he talked about the "Japanese traditions" passed on in some American schools was just made up stuff that if you carried it over to a dojo in Japan they would look at you like you were crazy.

One was the myth of not washing your belt. The author talked about training in Japan and his partner kept wondering what the smell was. After much searching they realized it was the author's black belt.

Like I said I didn't always agree with his articles but they were thought provoking. I hate the site is down.
    Blaine Benson

Name
    Ramona Iftode
    Martial Art
    Shotokan

Rob Redmond. The site was Shotokan Planet and the adress 24fightingchickens.com Good stuff, although sometimes his tone wasn't the most "charming". A whack of info and indeed some myths were "busted". As far as I have found out he's drawn back from the internet world in order to focus on his school and child. I hate the site it's gone and think it should have been left on the internet. But, it's his decision and we respect it
    Ramona Iftode / MA Links

hizaguchi

I really miss that website. My little brother and his friend wanted to get into the martial arts a couple years ago, so I sent my mom to the website to give her an idea of what the martial arts are all about (that guy had a great way of putting things in easy to understand terms). That's when I found out it was gone.

It's a shame that the site isn't up anymore. I think it would be a good read for any parent who is considering enrolling his/her child in a martial art class.

If anybody happens to know the guy who wrote the site (or knows his email address), please let him know that if the reason he took it down had anything to do with hosting problems, I would love to use up my 50 MB of free university webspace to host his site... even if nobody ever maintains it.

hizaguchi

Name
    Tony Dismukes
    Martial Art
    currently practicing muay thai, BJJ, previous experience in taijutsu, misc others

Cool site. I can relate to a number of the points the authoer makes in his essays.
    Tony Dismukes

"Violence is not a way of getting where you want to go, only more quickly. Its existence changes your destination. If you use it, you had better be prepared to find yourself in the kind of place it takes you to." - Hilary Bok

Name
    Nick Rhodes
    Martial Art
    FMA, Thai Boxing

Hehe,

Its back, I remember the Karate belt article.
    Nick.

Name
    Margaret Lo
    Martial Art
    JKA Shotokan, Hontai Yoshin Ryu

Default The Chickens Are Back

http://www.24fightingchickens.com/

Its back as a blog. The dojo listings are gone. Still useful since RR knows a lot. Like just about every other JKA forumite, I've had long blowouts with RR but appreciated his efforts and his listing while it was up.

M