Thread: Suntetsu?

Default Suntetsu?

Hi

Anyone have any experience with suntetsu? I found them when looking at some close-quarter type weapon at Sakura Martial Arts Supplies - www.sakura-0.com

They looked pretty interesting....just curious.

Thanks

Brian Glass

Name
    Lin Meiring
    Martial Art
    Goju Ryu Karate

I might be wrong here but i don't really think you need formal training in this.

It is like knuckle dusters. I put it on and you bash somebody. Nothing fancy there. Just use hammer hand strikes.

You could always (being very hopeful) try and block a bladed attack but that is more likely the same as farting against a strong wind.

Listen I am not trying to flame you here. Really I am not. I like weapons as much as the next guy. So my honest advice is go and ask some street fighters (thugs). They don't fight fair. The more than likely use this stuff for subway muggings and so forth.

Other than that I would say go and experiment and make some of your own moves.
    Lin Meiring

--------- -----------------
    The more I learn the less I know.
    --------- -------------------

Name
    Lin Meiring
    Martial Art
    Goju Ryu Karate

Found this. It is worth a look.

Suntetsu jutsu
    Lin Meiring

Name
    David Craik
    Martial Art
    Sweatin' to the Oldies
    Blog Entries

Suntetsu are used more like yawara and kubotan than something like brass knuckles. Rather than bashing randomly with it, strikes are normally directed toward specific points.

Another version of this weapon is the koppo stick. Check out Don Rearic's page for info on pressure points and strikes which could also be used with suntetsu. There are also numerous books out there dealing with the kubotan, yawara, koppo, and other pressure point weapons that may be useful.

It may prove more fruitful than attempting to strike up a conversation with street thugs, anyway.
    Last edited by David Craik; 12-23-2004 at 07:51.

Name
    Lin Meiring
    Martial Art
    Goju Ryu Karate

Now, see that is why you are the moderator and I am a just a member.

Don't you think street thugs have anything of value to add? I mean they do the real thing. Not just nice protected dojo training.

Not that I condone their behaviour but since they will be attacking you it would be nice to have a heads up.
    Lin Meiring

Name
    David Craik
    Martial Art
    Sweatin' to the Oldies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by potentpoefie
    Don't you think street thugs have anything of value to add? I mean they do the real thing. Not just nice protected dojo training.

Not that I condone their behaviour but since they will be attacking you it would be nice to have a heads up.
    I just don't think it's particularly wise or desirable to consort with punks, that's all. The whole "laying down with dogs and getting up with fleas" and "birds of a feather" thing. Martial arts to me are not about brutalizing people, and though you may learn some effective fighting technique - what else are you learning along with it? Has it made you a better person to know how to correctly shank someone?

This isn't to say that many of them would have much usable skill to impart anyway. For many, their strength is simply the fact that they are at home with violence and more brutal than their prey, which tend to be average untrained Joes. They attack en masse, and use weapons against the unarmed and untrained. This is a byproduct of their lifestyle; one which I will never lead.

Of course, the whole proposition seems a bit odd to me anyway. Is one going to simply walk up to a street gang and say "Hey, can you guys teach me how to fight?" I'll lay odds they'll teach one how to bite the curb instead.

Back to the topic (kinda) though, do street thugs use suntetsu in S.A.? When I lived there it was mostly knives, knopkerries and the occasional sjambok. Of course, it's a way different place now...
    Last edited by David Craik; 12-23-2004 at 11:26.

Name
    Lin Meiring
    Martial Art
    Goju Ryu Karate

I would just go, walk right up to them and ask them "do you feel lucky, punk? well do you?"

No, i must say I agree with you fully and nobody must mingle with criminals. Zero tolerance. I am actually part a community outreach program in conjunction with the police where we teach people self defence. An hour theory where we teach people how to recognize potential danger and stay clear of it and report it to the police. This is followed by an hour training where we teach people the physical part of selfdefence. It is called R.E.A.C.T (Recognize, Evaluate, Alternatives, Concentrate, Terminate). Watch this space cause it is going places. We already have 50 000 people through the course and since we are only 5 poeple we stick to one region. This regions crime rate dropped by 5%. Because people are now working with the police and are also not easy targets anymore. So bad guys beware. (theme song of the good, the bad and the ugly)

Back to the topic (kinda) though, do street thugs use suntetsu in S.A.? When I lived there it was mostly knives, knopkerries and the occasional sjambok. Of course, it's a way different place now...
    No, they don't but do use more guns and are more likely to kill you for your cellphone or bicycle than ever before. So stay away from alleys.
    Lin Meiring

Name
    David Craik
    Martial Art
    Sweatin' to the Oldies
    Blog Entries

Well, thank heavens they got rid of apartheid. Things were so lawless before.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Soulend
    Well, thank heavens they got rid of apartheid. Things were so lawless before.
    I thought Aparthied was more about racial disenfranchisement and less about law and order, I mean I suppose it it was very peaceful for some but, there were more than enough "curbs" being bit in the "good old days of Aparthied".
    Adrian Stockman

Name
    David Craik
    Martial Art
    Sweatin' to the Oldies
    Blog Entries

Yeah, my previous post came out a bit wrong..wasn't praising apartheid or anything. I'm just continually amazed at how awful the crime has gotten.

Name
    Lin Meiring
    Martial Art
    Goju Ryu Karate

Exclamation

Apartheid....now that is a word you just can't avoid when living in good old SA.

It is more a matter of the constitution is so good that it protects the criminals more than it does the law abiding citizens. What about the rights of the victims. The courts don't seem to care. The cops are overworked and the law doesn't really de-motivate you from committing crimes.

The thing that really gets me about Apartheid is the youth leagues that to this day blame it for everything. This means that 15 year old (they were 5 when it was officially dropped in 1994 but it was actually dropped from 1990) are claiming they were wronged by apartheid.

And what ever goed wrong is still blamed on apartheid. I stole a car. "Apartheid made me do it". I shot that man because I wanted his wallet. "Apartheid made me do it."

What about we just let it go and move on with our lives and try and make things better?

The funny thing is I am sure they will drop it as soon as a white person starts using that excuse.
    Lin Meiring