Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hapkido School?

Name
    David Dempsey
    Martial Art
    BJJ, Pramek

question Hapkido School?

I'm considering taking up Hapkido, but the only place is my area sounds a little bit strange. I was wondering if any of you guys on here know anything about this place? www.yoonshapkido.com .I would greatly appreciate any help.
    -David Dempsey-

Name
    Barry A. McConnell
    Martial Art
    Arnis, Hapkido (retired)
    Blog Entries

Well, my gut reaction is there's something fishy. Supreme Grand Master? And his explantion of the history and roots of Hapkido are seriously flawed.
    Barry McConnell

We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts - not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." - George Orwell

Senior Member Michael Tomlinson's Avatar
    Name
    Michael Tomlinson
    Martial Art
    Hapkido, Extreme River Dancing

Barry I was thinking the same thing.. especially the part about teaming up with Doju Nim Ji Han Jae and combining the "royal court hapkido" with Ji's Hapkido...and "both" of them creating the Korea Hapkido Association.....what?????????????
    Michael Tomlinson
    http://zdragon.bitbytenibble.com
    Green Dragon Dojang
    Sin Moo Hapkido

Name
    Mike Nestor

I'm with you Barry...sounds fishy and full of misleading information. Buyer beware.

Name
    Frank Clay
    Martial Art
    Korean Mudo

Are we sure this guy isn't a chunky occidental from Florida? Did I say that out loud? Bad Frank...
    Frank Clay

Name
    David Dempsey
    Martial Art
    BJJ, Pramek

Right then, so I take it that you guys would not recommend this guy. Well I'll still go and watch one of his classes and if its complete crap then I guess I'll know for sure. Thanks a lot.
    -David Dempsey-

Account Suspended: Noncompliance with full real name rule
    Name
    Howard
    Martial Art
    Hapkido

Default school

Quote Originally Posted by D Dempsey
    Right then, so I take it that you guys would not recommend this guy. Well I'll still go and watch one of his classes and if its complete crap then I guess I'll know for sure. Thanks a lot.
    not trying to ride the fence here, but i agree with everybody... the "supreme grand master" stuff sure is off-putting (what ever happened to plain ol' "master"??? what is the korean term for "grandmaster"?), and the history looks a little dodgy, but who knows? they may teach decent hapkido. only one way to find out... go watch for yourself.

good luck, and i hope it works out for you.

Name
    Barry A. McConnell
    Martial Art
    Arnis, Hapkido (retired)
    Blog Entries

Definitely go watch. However, I'm not sure you'll be able to tell if its real Hapkido unless you already know what you're looking for. There's a lot of chop-socky Hapkido out there that looks pretty but would take a veteran to see the problems. If it is pure crap, yeah, you'll know...
    Barry McConnell

We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts - not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." - George Orwell

Name
    David Dempsey
    Martial Art
    BJJ, Pramek

To tell you the truth, I'm not actually trying to go out and start learning hapkido. I'm study CMA and I'm mainly looking for extra practice on joint locks and throws, and this place isn't that far from my house. As far as the history description on the page, well I just don't know. What I did learn while I was studying in korea is that a lot of the instructors don't really know anything about the history of the art, its just a sport as far as they are concerned. Actually it was usually the teachers who taught a lot of americans who had some strange histories of the art that they taught. Then again this is america so who knows. Thanks for the help and I'll keep you posted about what happens.
    -David Dempsey-

Name
    David Dempsey
    Martial Art
    BJJ, Pramek

Well I checked out the guy's school tonight. It was a major dissapointment. All he is really teaching is really bad tang soo do, and I mean really bad. He said he doesn't teach hapkido, but rather an older korean style that is similar to it. Then he tried to tell me that the Xing Yi Chaun that I practice is basicly the same thing as tang soo do. All this combined with the pictures of Jesus every where means that I'm not going back. It's just a pain in the *** to find martial arts instructors in El Paso. Thanks for the advice.
    -David Dempsey-

Name
    Howard
    Martial Art
    Hapkido

Well I checked out the guy's school tonight. It was a major dissapointment. All he is really teaching is really bad tang soo do, and I mean really bad. He said he doesn't teach hapkido, but rather an older korean style that is similar to it. Then he tried to tell me that the Xing Yi Chaun that I practice is basicly the same thing as tang soo do. All this combined with the pictures of Jesus every where means that I'm not going back. It's just a pain in the *** to find martial arts instructors in El Paso. Thanks for the advice.
    hi david...

oh man... if this weren't so pathetic, it would be really funny.

you have run across an all-too-common phenomenon in kma. there is so much bogus history about kma floating around that it's unbelievable. here's just one example: hapkido was developed 2000 - 5000 years ago (you choose the millenium that suits you) in korean caves by monks, who took the art to japan, where it became jujutsu, only to make its way back to korea via choi young sool in 1945... never mind that choi young sool himself maintained that what he taught was the art he had learned over 30 years' time in japan (which art, according to consensus, was daito ryu aikijujutsu, but that question alone can occupy entire discussion forums).

it's also pretty funny that the guy teaches (bad) tang soo do, since the website clearly advertises hapkido.

one final thought... i'm surprised that it's so hard to find decent schools in a city the size of san antonio. any thoughts about why that is?

take care, howard

Name
    Mandeigh Wells
    Martial Art
    Haedong Kumdo

hmmmmm out of curiousity I had a wee look at the website and while I am sorry I can't help you with the Hapkido bit I can tell you that the whole taiji bit is majorly suspect. The guy has absolutely no body alignment whatso ever in the photos..... a Traditional style popular before the CR but without know origins.....beep beep beep....opps sorry that was my bull$hit detector on.....
    what is strength without a double share of wisdom? - Milton

You will be amazed what comes from your heart when you make a little effort with your head. - Brahma Kumaris

Name
    Barry A. McConnell
    Martial Art
    Arnis, Hapkido (retired)
    Blog Entries

It's just a pain in the *** to find martial arts instructors in El Paso. Thanks for the advice.
    Ask Jeff Cook for a reference. He goes out to Bliss to train routinely and is pretty familiar with the BJJ guys out there. They will give your joints something to remember...
    Barry McConnell

- Thomas Jefferson

Name
    Felix A. Lugo
    Martial Art
    TKD, HKD,Miyama Ryu JuJutsu

Default Hapkido School

Check out www.mastermurphy.com
    (903) 583-6160 - 112 E. Sam Rayburn Drive Bonham, TX 75418

Hope he is close to you..........

Regards
    Master Felix A. Lugo

Name
    David Dempsey
    Martial Art
    BJJ, Pramek

Quote Originally Posted by BBFC
    Check out www.mastermurphy.com
    (903) 583-6160 - 112 E. Sam Rayburn Drive Bonham, TX 75418

Hope he is close to you..........

Regards
    Well he is actually about 11 hours away. As far as the bjj I already am studying there. The hapkido was mainly the idea of my wife. She is korean and she wants to do martial arts with me but thinks the kung fu training is to hard, I don't know how she decided to go with hapkido so I'm just going with it. All the guys around here that teach claim to be the supreme ultimate fantastico grandmaster of hapkido, so its a little difficult to find anything out. Well thanks for the help everybody. I'll keep looking around and see what I can turn up.
    -David Dempsey-

Name
    Felix A. Lugo
    Martial Art
    TKD, HKD,Miyama Ryu JuJutsu

Talking

Well he is actually about 11 hours away. As far as the bjj I already am studying there. The hapkido was mainly the idea of my wife. She is korean and she wants to do martial arts with me but thinks the kung fu training is to hard, I don't know how she decided to go with hapkido so I'm just going with it. All the guys around here that teach claim to be the supreme ultimate fantastico grandmaster of hapkido, so its a little difficult to find anything out. Well thanks for the help everybody. I'll keep looking around and see what I can turn up.

Let it be known ,let it be written that I'm the SUPREME ULTIMATE WHITE BELT! I dare anyone to try and take this honor from me.....
    Master Felix A. Lugo

Name
    Howard
    Martial Art
    Hapkido

Default hapkido for your wife

...The hapkido was mainly the idea of my wife. She is korean and she wants to do martial arts with me but thinks the kung fu training is to hard, I don't know how she decided to go with hapkido so I'm just going with it...
    hi david,

i think it's fair to say that if you find an authentic hapkido school, the training will be pretty rigorous and uncomfortable, especially at first, until your wife gets somewhat used to it. it's just one of the basics of old-style hapkido. i'm convinced that it's the main reason we have so much trouble retaining new students. the attrition rate is pretty bad. sadly, not many people want to go thru what it takes to get good at hapkido.

any way, good luck to you and your wife.

regards, howard

Name
    David Dempsey
    Martial Art
    BJJ, Pramek

I think the big thing for my wife is the intensity. The kung fu training is just a little to much for her as the group of us tend to go about it pretty fierce. I think she just wanted to take something korean. I thought Hapkido would be a great idea since it has more of a grappling focus, which I figured would be great for her to learn. I actually went and checked out another place tonight and it wasn't really any better. He claims to teach hapkido but he has mixed it with taegwondo, karate, aikido, judo, and kickboxing. Of course he is also a 9th degree grandmaster in all of these styles. My question is why would you combine them all into one? Oh well..... I guess I'll just go over to an aikido or judo school.
    -David Dempsey-

Name
    Stuart Rosenberg
    Martial Art
    Hapkido, Brazilian JJ, Kali

I think the big thing for my wife is the intensity. The kung fu training is just a little to much for her as the group of us tend to go about it pretty fierce. I think she just wanted to take something korean. I thought Hapkido would be a great idea since it has more of a grappling focus, which I figured would be great for her to learn. I actually went and checked out another place tonight and it wasn't really any better. He claims to teach hapkido but he has mixed it with taegwondo, karate, aikido, judo, and kickboxing. Of course he is also a 9th degree grandmaster in all of these styles. My question is why would you combine them all into one? Oh well..... I guess I'll just go over to an aikido or judo school.

What another joke

That's MA these days?
    Hapki,

Stuart N Rosenberg
    Sinmoo Hapkido

Name
    Harold L whalen Jr.
    Martial Art
    Hapkido

Thumbs up

David.

I lived or was stationed At Biggs field during the mid seventies. At that time there were some good schools there . There was one run by A master lynn Nichols (center Referee when Byoung Yu beat Bill Wallace )whom was the head of Budokwan in El Paso .

Also one run by Albert S Robinson ( Robbie ) called Kaikido he is in sixties now, If you ever run into him ask him about him whalen and the seacreast lounge. great story for another time

There was the very controversial Charles Dixon of shijimasu His Dojo was on Dywer St. and he had A large following also in Jaurez

Down near MCcombs there was Han Young Choi a Hapkido Master whom called his NEW ART chun-ki-do.

unfortunately El paso has changed a lot, I still have friends there drop me aline if I can help

Last edited by Mst Whalen; 01-21-2005 at 09:15.
    HAPKI........

Hal Whalen

Hapkido Chun Do Kwan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast