Name
    Jack Beungood Ouilette
    Martial Art
    Pekiti-Tirsia Kali, Muay Thai Buran/Katcheuk, Hapkido

Default Kali Illustrisimo/Pekiti /Doces Pares

What is the differances/similarities between Kali Illustrisimo ,Pekiti-Tirsia Kali and Doces Pares Eskrima?
    Salamat,

Jack beungood ouilette

"Build Good Spirit,make a strong fence"

Name
    Darrell Sarjeant
    Martial Art
    Kali Silat, VeeJitsu, Pencak Silat, Aiki Jitsu, Ju Jutsu

Jack:

The Pekiti Tirsia that I have been exposed to had a definite blade emphasis.
    The Doce Pares had a more impact weapon emphasis, and the Kali Ilustrisimo was more long blade/sword emphasis.

The Doce Pares has the Escrido method comprised of combining the Aikido, Judo, and Indigenous Grappling.
    The Pekiti today has a Dumog component, I believe.
    I don't think that Kali Ilustrisimo has a large empty hand/dumog component. At least I haven't heard of too much empty hands taught.

Hope this helps a little.
    Darrell Sarjeant, Chief Instructor
    Silent Warrior Arts

www.silentwararts.com

Name
    John G. Jacobo
    Martial Art
    FMA

Hello Jack,

Here is my insight having only limited exposure to Doce Pares and Pekiti-Tirsia.

Doce Pares is a blunted system with a knife sub-system. It evolved more from the sporting perspective. Although DP covers long range, their players seem most effective in close range utilizing very good inside control with their live hand. In addition, their striking patterns and combos are very efficient due to their ability to easily redirect full strikes into abanikos and vice versa when either is negated. A simple adjustment and they are able to disengage from an attempted block or parry and continue with a barrage of strikes. I believe the exercise for this development is called “Palakaw (sp?)”.

Classical Ilustrisimo is sword and bladed methods through and through while PTK shows elements of both blunted and bladed. My Pekiti Tirsia training is limited to less than 20 hrs. under Tuhon Gaje and focuses only on single and double knife so my comparison will be that of knife methods. In keeping with the basic principles of slash and/or thrust, I can certainly say that it is similar to KI's use, even with baiting. The obvious difference which is what inspired me to seek Tuhon Gaje's expertise is PT’s locking, controlling and takedown maneuvers.

Upon entries in KI (or at least how I teach it), we typically revert back to an almost prison style “bull dogging” approach. We monitor, check and control the opponent’s weapon hand/arm, include open hand strikes accompanied with forward momentum, a disruption of balance and multiple jack rabbit thrusts. Sabayan is another principle heavily used in Tulisan. This is the simultaneous use of defense & offense. i.e. jam & thrust, parry & slash

The beauty of KI is the consistency of principle use from long sword (a.k.a. Dos Manos/Kampilan), to sword and to knife. The empty-hand component of KI is referred to as Sogo or spear and also uses the Sabayan principle. Sogo is not an E-H system but merely the knife movements used byTatang minus the knife.

Tuhon Gaje returns to Maryland this weekend from the Balikatan exercises in the PI. I will resume my training and hope to solidify my understanding of PT’s knife methods and principles.

Yours in the Arts,

Guro John G. Jacobo
    www.swacom.com
    Last edited by John J; 03-14-2005 at 15:50.